The United Kingdom is one of the popular destinations for travellers to visit abroad. Whether it is to pursue higher studies, visit family and friends, or travel through the beautiful cities of England and the countryside of Wales and Scotland, the UK is a favourite destination for Indians. People from countries outside the United Kingdom, including India, have to acquire a permit to visit the country. There are different types of visas that have different validity duration. Individuals need to identify the right type of visa that suits their needs before applying. The UK Visa Fees For Indian individuals depend on various aspects, such as the types of UK visas, the duration of the visa, the number of entries, biometric charges, express processing fees, and any additional service charges.
Non-UK citizens who wish to visit or stay in the United Kingdom for studies, tourism, business, employment, work, or joining a friend or a family member must apply for a UK visa. The applicant must fill out a visa application form and submit all the necessary supporting documents. They also need to pay the visa application fee online and book an appointment with the immigration authorities of the UK for biometric details and submission of documents.
The UK Visa Fees For Indians, the documentation required and the interview questions vary based on the type of UK visa one is applying for. This article will look at the UK Visa fees in Indian Rupees in 2022 for various categories.
Types of UK Visas for Indian Citizens
There are various types of UK visas for Indians to visit the United Kingdom, such as study visas, business visas, etc. The major types of visas are classified into the following types based on the reason for the visit of the individuals –
UK Tourist or Visitor Visa
The best guidance for your STUDY ABROAD DREAM
Start your journey with the best study abroad experts in India
The UK tourist visa or visit visa allows individuals to visit the country for a shorter time. Generally, the visitor visa is issued for 6 months. However, in cases where the applicant is required to travel to the country multiple times for a few years, the visa may be issued for 2,5 or even 10 years. Based on the type of visit issued, these can further be classified into the following categories –
- Standard Visitor Visa – This visa is issued to visitors travelling for business, tourism, medical treatment, and other short-term purposes.
- Marriage Visitor Visa – This visa type is issued to individuals visiting the country to get into a civil partnership in the UK or to get married.
The UK Marriage visa fees for Indians are as follows –
– Marriage visitor visa – Rs. 9,837
– Permitted paid engagement visa – Rs. 9,837
- UK Transit Visa – This visa type is required only if the individual has to travel through the UK as transit to visit another country.
The UK Visa Fees For Indian applicants for Transit Category in INR are as given below –
- Direct Airside Transit (DATV) – Rs 3624
- Visitor in transit visa – Rs 6627
- Visit to join a ship or aircraft as a crew member – Rs 6627
UK Student Visa
The study visa or permit is issued to individuals who want to pursue education or a course in the UK. It is generally based on the Point Based System (PBS). The various types of issued student permits are as follows –
- Short-term study – The visa is issued for students who opt for research or short-term courses for 6 or 11 months.
- Tier 4 General Student – This visa type is issued only in cases where the individual has been offered a place in a program or course. As per the duration of the course, the visa is then issued.
- Tier 4 Child Student – The visa is issued to children between the ages of 4 and 17 who are visiting the United Kingdom to take part in studies in an independent school.
The UK Visa Fees For Indian students are as follows –
- Visiting academic (Above 6 months to 12 months) – Rs 19,674
- Short-term study visa (Above 6 months to 11 months) – Rs 19,260
- Tier 4 child visa (main applicant and the dependents) – Rs 36,034
- Student visa (main applicant and dependents) -Rs 36,034
The work permit visa is issued to individuals visiting the UK to participate in professional activities or ones related to employment in any form. The various types of work visas are as follows –
- Tier 2 Visa – The visa is issued to individuals moving to the UK to participate in long-term work activity. They need to have a licensed sponsor for this work visa type.
- Tier 5 Visa – The 5th tier work permit is issued for short-term work activities. These can be religious, unpaid, voluntary, sports-related, etc.
- Tier 1 Visa – This visa is for individuals planning to set up or perform long-term business activities in the country. The visa can be issued to startups, entrepreneurs, etc., based on their eligibility.
Work Visa Fee for Applications Made Outside the UK
- Skilled worker (3 years or less) – main applicant and dependents – Rs 63,164
- Intracompany transfer (3 years or less than that) for main applicants and the dependents – Rs 63,164
- Skilled worker, in cases where a certificate of sponsorship has been issued for over 36 months – main applicant and dependents – Rs 1,26,328
- International sportsman, in the cases where a sponsorship certificate has been issued for up to 12 months for the main applicant and their dependents – Rs 25,266
- Skilled worker for shortage occupation (3 years or less) for main applicant and dependents – Rs 48,046
- Health Care visa – (over 3 years) – main applicant and their dependents – Rs 48,046
- Skilled worker for shortage occupation – Health and Care Visa – where the sponsorship certificate has been issued for 3 years or less for the main applicant and dependents – Rs 24,023
- Intracompany Transfer – Graduate Trainee – main applicant and dependents – Rs 49,910
Individuals can apply for a family visa if they are visiting the UK to live with their child, spouse, civil partner, parents, or a relative who will provide for them for the long term. The visa has been issued for more than 6 months.
Family UK Visa Fees for Indian Applicants
- Family visa for joining your partner, parent, proposed civil partner or child – Rs 1,59,007
- Route to Settlement – other dependent relatives – Rs 3,39,311
- Route to Settlement – refugee dependent relative – Rs 40,509
- Dependent children under the age of 21 who have applied for a visa under ‘Appendix ECAA Extension of Stay’ of the immigration rules – No Fees
UK Visa Fees For Indian Citizens
The Visas and Immigration authorities of the United Kingdom charge the Indian passport holders a certain fee in Pounds Sterling (GBP) to cover the administration costs regarding handling the visa application. The fees can also be paid in the applicants’ local currency as per the home office exchange rates. In addition to the UK visa fees, one can also opt for travel insurance as per the exchange rate, starting from INR 300.
Standard Visitor Visa for UK, Jersey, Isle of Man, and Guernsey
The various Standard UK visitor visa fees for Indian applicants in Indian Rupees are as follows:
- Short-term visa (single or multiple entries for up to 6 months) – Rs. 9837
- Long-term visa (valid for up to 2 years) – Rs 37,381
- Long-term visa(valid for up to 5 years) – Rs 67,824
- Longer-term visa (valid for up to 10 years) – Rs 85,116
- Private medical treatment (above 6 months to 11 months) – Rs 19,674
- Parents of a student child (For up to 12 months) – Rs 53,430
Child Visitor Fees
- Short-term visa (single or multiple entries for up to 6 months) – Rs 9,837
- Long-term visa (valid for up to 2 years) – Rs 37,381
- Long-term visa (valid for up to 5 years) – Rs 67,824
- Longer-term visa (valid for up to 10 years) – Rs 85,116
Points-Based System (PBS) – Tier 1 (also applicable to the Isle of Man)
- Tier 1 investor – main applicant and dependents – Rs 1,68,057
- Tier 1 entrepreneur – main applicant and dependents – Rs 1,05,722
- Tier 1 (Graduate entrepreneur) – dependents only – Rs – 37,588
- Tier 1 exceptional talent – dependents only – Rs 62,957
Other Work Category Visa
- UK ancestry – Rs 53,430
- Innovator – main applicant and dependents – Rs 1,05,722
- Overseas domestic workers employed in a private household – Rs 53,430
- Offshore worker – Rs 53,430
- Representative of foreign business and dependents- Rs 63,164
- Sheep shearer – Rs 53,430
- Employees of an overseas newspaper/ news agency or broadcasting organisation – Rs 63,164
- Startup – main applicant and dependents – Rs 37,588
- Global Talent – Stage 2 – entry clearance application – the main applicant – Rs 15,739
- Global Talent – Stage 1 – endorsement application – the main applicant – Rs 47,218
- Global Talent – subsequent applications – Rs 62,957
- Global Talent – dependents – Rs 62,957
Armed Forces & Dependents
- HM Forces staff or member of foreign armed force – Free of charge
- Dependents of exempt international forces applying under Part 10 of Appendix Armed Forces – Rs 53,430
Standard UK Visitor visa can be divided into multiple broad categories – family visitor visa, general visitor visa, sports visa, child visitor visa, business visitor visa, medical treatment visa, etc. A standard UK tourist visa for Indians generally takes up to 2 weeks to process. The UK Visa Fees For Indian applicants can range from Rs. 9854 for a short term visa to Rs. 85,259 for a longer-term visa of about 10 years.
The United Kingdom is a popular destination for students to study abroad due to its reputed institutes and world-class educational facilities. If a student has to apply for a UK student visa from India, they have to pay a fee of £348, whereas if they have to extend or switch to a student visa while staying in the UK, they have to pay £475. All the UK universities accept IELTS and TOEFL English language proficiency scores for the admissions of international students. Indian students can also opt for top UK scholarships to cut their finances.
If you wish to study in the UK, LeapScholar can help you identify top study programs and top universities in the UK and guide you throughout the admission process.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the UK Visa application process?
The process for applying for a UK Visa online for Indians is as described below –
Create an account online on Visa4UK, the visa application portal in the UK. A visitor visa can also be applied for online via the visa immigration service portal.
Complete the online visa application form with all the required details.
Pay the UK Visa fees online.
Book your appointment for the visa at a visa application centre (VAC) for the submission of biometrics.
Take a printout of the online confirmation you receive on your email id.
Attend the appointment and carry all the necessary documents to submit your complete application to get your visa approved.
The candidate is required to provide correct details in order to avoid the rejection of the visa.
What are the documents required for a UK Visa?
The documents needed for a UK Visa processing depend on the type of visa one is choosing. Every UK Visa type requires a certain set of documents as per its needs. However, general documentation requirements for the approval stamp for most types of the visas are as follows –
An online completed UK visa application form
2 recent photographs of the applicant of passport size
A passport valid for a duration of 6 months with at least 2 to 3 blank pages
Proof of finance for your stay in the UK
Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), if required for the visa type
Receipt of visa feed
Proof of occupation
Proof of accommodation
What are the UK Visa Fees For Indians for a temporary work visa?
The UK Visa fees For Indians for a temporary work visa is Rs 25,266 for all the categories, which are listed as follows –
Temporary Work (charity work category) for the main applicant and their dependents
Temporary Work (youth mobility scheme category) for the main applicant only
Temporary Work (creative work category) for main applicant and dependents, if any
Temporary Work (religious work category) for the main applicant and the dependents
Temporary Work (Government Authorised Exchange visa) for main applicant and dependents, if any
Temporary Work (international agreement work) for the main applicant and dependent
Temporary Work (seasonal work category) for the main applicant only