IELTS Result Check
IELTS results for both modes of the test are available online. To check your result, you must visit the official website of IELTS IDP and log in with your credentials.
IELTS scores are released as IELTS TRF or Test Report Form and remain valid for two years.
There are two ways to access your IELTS results: online and via SMS.
Result via SMS is an exclusive service to IELTS IDP test-takers. To avail of this service, you must sign the IDP IELTS SMS agreement form on the day you take your speaking test.
The SMS does not count as an official legal document of your scores and is only sent to you for information purposes.
You can find the complete breakdown of your IELTS results by logging into your official IELTS IDP account and viewing your IELTS TRF.
The IELTS Test Report Form is a mark sheet containing your scores for individual sections of IELTS and your overall score. Each candidate gets one IELTS TRF unless they’re applying to Immigration & Refugees Citizenship Canada (IRCC), in which case, you’re entitled to two IELTS TRFs.
Universities accept this official documentation of your scores during admission as proof of English language proficiency, as do employers during recruitment. IELTS TRF is valid for two years from the date of the exam.
An IELTS TRF contains your details, such as your name, date of birth, nationality and a photograph. Below, you will find the score for each section of IELTS and an overall IELTS band score.
One important element of the IELTS TRF is the TRF number, which is unique to all users. Here’s a sample picture.
The timeframe for receiving IELTS TRF is as shown below.
|Mode/Type of IELTS
|Timeframe for result
|IELTS life skills
Step-By-Step Process for IELTS TRF Download
The process for accessing your IELTS results depends on how you register.
If you have registered through IELTS IDP, you can view your IELTS result by logging into your IDP account.
If you have registered through the British Council, you should receive an email with the link to access your IELTS TRF.
You may be asked to fill out personal information such as your full name, date of birth and candidate number.
Steps to download IELTS TRF from IDP:
- Log into your IELTS IDP account.
- Find the download result option. Sometimes, an auto-pop-up will lead you to the score section.
- You can find and download your eTRF or Electronic Test Report Form in CSV or XML format.
What is IELTS ATRF?
IELTS ATRF stands for Additional Test Report Form. As the name implies, these are additional copies of TRF. Anything apart from the first copy of your TRF is referred to as ATRF.
The first five copies of ATRF are completely free. Anything more than five copies requires an additional fee.
How to Send IELTS Scores to Universities?
IELTS sends five additional copies of your TRF to universities on your behalf, completely free of cost. You can select these universities during the registration.
If you have more copies of ATRFs, you must pay an administrative fee of INR 250 per university.
Here’s how you can do that:
- Visit the official IELTS IDP website and log into your IDP account
- Select the “ADD TRF” option
How to calculate IELTS Band Score?
You get awarded a score between 0-9 for every section of IELTS. The average of these scores is considered your overall score.
Your overall score can be whole (e.g., 5.0, 6.0, 7.0) or half (e.g., 6.5, 7.5, 8.5). If your average is not a whole or half score, it will be rounded to the nearest whole or half score.
Consider the following IELTS scores.
(7.5 + 6.5 + 6.0 + 7.0) / 4 = 27 / 4 = 6.75
Since 6.75 is not precise, it will be rounded off to 7.0, which will be your overall IELTS band score.
What do your IELTS band scores mean?
- Every number between 0-9 carries a value. Based on the score you receive, universities and employers are able to understand your English proficiency.
- A score between 0-3 usually means your English language skills need a lot of improvement, and you may need help communicating with the locals.
- A score between 4-5 shows that you have a basic understanding of English, though you may struggle to communicate your ideas and make fruitful conversations.
- If your score is between 6 and 7, your English language skills are good enough. It suggests you can easily manage to communicate your thoughts and ideas. This scoring range is ideal for university applications abroad.
- Anything above 8 is an excellent score, indicating you’re a natural. A score like this can get you into excellent universities, considering you have met the other prerequisites.
If unsatisfied with your IELTS scores, you always request a recheck or re-marking. This process is called IELTS Enquiry on Result or IELTS EOR. IELTS assigns a team of senior evaluators who haven’t seen your scores before to conduct this process.
The fee for requesting an IELTS remark or IELTS EOR in India is below.
You receive a full refund of the EOR fee if your scores are increased during the remarking process.
Timeframe to submit an EOR request within six weeks of your test date.
How to request IELTS EOR?
- Login to your IELTS IDP account and find the EOR tab
- Under the tab, click on “Apply now” and fill out the form
- Select the sections you would like to be remarked on
- You will receive an invoice in 2 business days
- You can complete the payment through the link provided in the email
- You will receive your re-evaluated result in 2-21 business days