Studying overseas can be a great proposition to propel one’s career through international exposure and world-class education from acclaimed foreign universities. However, following one’s study abroad dreams is not possible without substantial funding.Fortunately, IELTS conducting bodies like the British Council offers numerous IELTS Scholarships to deserving students from underprivileged background to pursue their education abroad. Notably, candidates can also seek for IELTS registration fee waiver. Candidates seeking to move to English-speaking nations for academic and professionally are required to clear language tests like IELTS. ILETS test score is one of the most crucial factors determining one’s possibility to migrate to countries like the UK, US, Australia and Canada.The following sections offer a detailed rundown on the various types of IELTS Scholarships students can opt for to fund their education overseas.
IELTS Scholarship from the British Council
The British Council offers multiple scholarships to help deserving candidates fund their undergraduate or postgraduate study in any international institution. Here are some of the top IELTS Scholarships for Indian students:
1. British Council IELTS Award
As per the British Council IELTS Award, eight Indian students would receive an award of £ 3,000 to £10,000 each, which would go towards the tuition fees. The award amount will depend on the tuition fee of the institution that is chosen by the winning candidates.
There are certain requirements that students need to meet for receiving the British Council IELTS Award. These are as follows:
- The applicants should be a citizen of India
- Students have to secure a minimum overall IELTS score band of 6 to be eligible for this award.
- The university or college in which the student chooses to study should accept the IELTS score for its admission.
- One should possess a valid acceptance letter from an international institution.
1.2 Application Process
To apply for this IELTS Scholarship, students need to download the application form from the official website of the British Council. They need to carefully fill up the online form along with the IELTS score and attach a recent photograph. Once done, applicants have to send the form to the contact details mentioned on the website.There are also a few more IELTS Scholarships that Indian students can apply for.
2. Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarship
The Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarship offers Indian students a scholarship that is based on their IELTS scores. Through this scholarship, students can receive a monetary award of £1,400 to fund their studies or research in the UK.
3. Great Scholarship India
Sponsored jointly by the British Council and the UK Great Britain’s Campaign, Great Scholarship India helps Indian candidates to pursue a one-year master’s course in any of the UK institutions. This scholarship offers an award of £10,000. With this grant, one can study in any of the participating institutions, including the University of Bath, University of Kent, University of Manchester, University of Warwick, University of Edinburgh and many more. 3.1 EligibilityTo receive this IELTS Scholarship, applicants have to fulfil these requirements:
- Students should have an acceptance letter from the university that they applied to.
- They should be fluent in English.
- They should have a valid Indian passport.
4. Commonwealth Scholarship & Fellowship Program
The Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Program is one of the best IELTS Scholarships for Indian aspirants. It covers the IELTS exam fee and also provides substantial financial aid for tuition fees, international airfare, maintenance and more. This scholarship is managed by various government departments of the UK in collaboration with top universities. Eligible students will receive a monthly stipend of around £1,116 to manage their expenses. Those residing in metropolitan areas can get around £1,369 per month.
IELTS Fee Waiver Scholarship
Aspirants can also seek an IELTS Fee Waiver Scholarship which would help them to get a complete refund of the IELTS registration fees. The IELTS registration charge for both the Academic and General Training test is Rs. 14,700. Eligible candidates will get a refund on the fees within 45 days of result declaration. EligibilityHere are some of the requirements candidates have to meet to apply for the fee waiver IELTS Scholarship:
- Test-takers should not be more than 32 years.
- Candidates should be appearing for IELTS for the first time.
- They should come with a minimum of 75% marks in the high school examination and a 3.0 GPA in undergraduate studies.
- Candidates have to hail from families with a monthly income of less than $250.
Leap Finance offers various financial assistance for study abroad aspirants like education loans and US Credit Cards.
The Process to Get a High Score Band of 7 in IELTS
One of the major requirements students need to fulfil for receiving an IELTS Scholarship is a high sore band ranging between 6 and 7. Many top institutions also require applicants to have a score band of 7 for admission to various courses. Here are some of the major tips to help candidates secure a 7 band score in IELTS:
- Students should take online practice tests to identify weak spots and work accordingly to improve them.
- They have to learn about the assessment criteria for each of the test sections and prepare accordingly.
- Applicants need to work on their core English skills to sharpen their reading, writing, speaking and listening capabilities.
- They should set a target, chalk out a preparation strategy and follow stringently.
IELTS Scholarships can be a highly beneficial tool for Indian students with low family incomes. However, one needs to secure a high IELTS score and fulfil many other requirements to be eligible for such funding.Candidates can also choose to fund their study abroad dreams with LeapScholar. With Leap Scholar, one can get necessary assistance with scholarships, IELTS preparation, visa application and much more.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the registration fee for different IELTS tests?
Ans. The registration fee for computer-based and paper-based Academic and General Training tests is Rs. 16,250.
2. What are the charges for the cancellation and rescheduling of exam dates?
Ans. Those who cancel before five weeks are eligible for a refund minus the 25% administration charges. For cancellation within less than five weeks, test-takers will not get any refund. One can also reschedule a test date five weeks before the assigned test date. However, they have to pay an extra charge of Rs. 3,300.
3. Can I reduce my IELTS exam fee?
Ans. The IELTS conducting bodies usually do not provide any provision for the reduction of registration charges. However, needy and deserving candidates can opt for a fee waiver scholarship that would enable them to get a complete refund of test fees after the examination.