A Postgraduate Diploma in Canada is a one to a two-year program that offers undergraduate students a choice to combine two courses of one year each and therefore gain specialisation or pursue enhanced study in the field of their choice. An advanced diploma, on the other hand, is issued by a college or university to students who have finished a particular study program. It can either be postgraduate or postsecondary. An advanced diploma works to prepare students for a job in their chosen field of study in a shorter span or less time than a four-year degree. A postgraduate diploma in Canada can be pursued only after the completion of a bachelor’s degree program. It can help students enhance their chances of finding jobs in Canada post their duration of the study. A postgraduate diploma course is an important addition to the educational qualifications of a candidate as it helps one gain advanced knowledge while providing them with a platform for skill development. In this article, we will understand what is advanced diploma in Canada and what is PG diploma, the top colleges offering a PG diploma, and the top opportunities after pursuing the diploma course.
Top PG Diploma Courses in Canada
The popular PG diploma courses and their tuition fees in Canada are:
- PG Diploma in Finance by Lambton College – 25,260 CAD
- PG Diploma in Marketing by Centennial College – 16,169 CAD
- PG Diploma in Human Resources by Seneca College – 15,590 CAD
- PG Diploma in Business Analytics by Seneca College – 15,164 CAD
- PG Diploma in International Business Management by Algonquin College – 16,680 CAD
- PG Diploma in Supply Chain Management by Humber College – 17,537 CAD
- PG Diploma in Accounting by Douglas College – 19,144 CAD
- PG Diploma in Project Management by Douglas College – 19,144 CAD
- PG Diploma in Data Science by University of Calgary – 61,200
Difference between PG Diploma & Advanced Diploma in Canada
The main difference between what is a postgraduate diploma and what is advanced diploma in Canada is as follows: 1. A postgraduate diploma can only be pursued after graduation. In contrast, an advanced diploma is the same as a regular diploma, which can be either pursued post-graduation or before it after high school. 2. An advanced diploma is a three-year degree program compared to a regular diploma of two years. 3. Advanced diploma programs or advanced courses are more specialised than regular diploma courses as they typically have an internship and co-op component.
Top Colleges for PG Diploma in Canada
The top Canadian colleges offering PG diploma courses, along with the variety of fields the diploma courses cover, are as follows:
1. Centennial College, Ontario, Toronto
Centennial College was ranked among the top 10 Canadian Research Colleges. The college has an employment rate of about 80 per cent. The college offers PG diploma courses in the following fields:
- Automation and Robotics – Electro-Mechanical Engineering Technician (Fast-Track)
- Software Engineering Technician (Fast-Track)
- Mechanical Engineering Technician – Design (Fast-Track)
- Energy Systems Engineering Technician (Fast-Track)
- Computer Systems Technician – Networking (Fast Track)
Cost of Attending Centennial College offers PG diploma courses with fees ranging from INR 8.7 to INR 10.3 lakh per year.
2. University of Winnipeg, Canada
The University of Winnipeg is a popular research university in Canada that enrols over 9,600 students every academic year. The university has a dynamic campus and connects people from different cultures and backgrounds. PG Diploma programs offered by the university in the different available areas of study are:
- Artificial Intelligence Diploma
- Educational Assistant Diploma (Full-Time)
- Financial Management Diploma
- Human Resource Management Diploma (Full-Time)
- PR, Marketing & Strategic Communications Management Diploma
Cost of Attending The PG diploma courses at UWinnipeg costs around INR 10.1 lakh per year.
3. North Island College, British Columbia (Comox Valley)
North Island College is a well-known institute for distance education in Canada. The college is responsible for delivering community programs every year through on-campus learning centres and online and in-community learning modes. The college offers bachelor’s and associate degrees, graduate certificates, diplomas, certificates, etc. North Island College offers a PG diploma in a number of fields such as
- Digital Design + Development Post Graduate Diploma
- Business Administration Post Degree Diploma – Global Business Management
- Business Administration Post Degree Diploma – Pre-Professional Accountant
- Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Web and Mobile Application Development
Cost of Attending The PG diploma courses at North Island College costs around INR 8.2 lakh per year.
4. Humber College, Ontario
Humber College is mainly known for offering certificate and diploma courses in huge demand. Humber is one of the top colleges in Canada. However, pursuing a course at Humber is highly affordable. The PG diploma programs offered in various disciplines are as follows:
- Business, Accounting & Management
- Information, Computer Science & Digital Technology
- Exercise Science and Lifestyle Management
- Creative Writing – Fiction, Creative Nonfiction, Poetry
- Film and Multiplatform Storytelling
Cost of Attending A PG diploma from Humber College usually costs around INR 9.9 lakh per year.
5. Fanshawe College, Ontario
Fanshawe College is a renowned college offering more than 200 post-secondary certificates, diplomas, degrees and graduate programs in various fields, such as applied arts, health care, business, human services, and technology. The top PG diploma courses offered at the college include:
- Business Administration-Accounting
- Early Childhood Education
- Business Administration – Human Resources
- Business Administration – Marketing
- Fanshawe’s Civil Engineering Technology Program
- Career Development Practitioner
- Advanced Diploma in Aviation Technology
Cost of Attending The programs offered by Fanshawe college range from INR 3.8 to 5.8 lakh per year.
Other Top Colleges for PG Diploma Courses & Cost
- Fleming College, Ontario – 10.5 lakh per year
- St. Lawrence College, Ontario – 11.6 lakh per year
- Simon Fraser University – 1.1 lakh per term
- Lambton College, Ontario – 7.8 to 9.7 lakh per year
- Thompson Rivers University – 4.2 to 14.2 lakh per year
- Royal Roads University – 5.7 lakh per semester
- McMaster University – 9.3 to 9.7 lakh per year
- Carleton University – 10.4 to 14.4 lakh per year
- Concordia University – 18.2 to 21.8 lakh per year
- Seneca College (Newnham Campus) – 7.6 lakh per year
Top Fields for PG Diploma Courses
Some of the popular PG diploma course fields among international students in Canada are as given below — • Operation Management: The operation management diploma program focuses on the techno-managerial requirements of the services and manufacturing sector. The program is available as a one-year course and costs around INR 10 lakh. • Business Analytics: The interdisciplinary postgraduate program deals with the fields of technology and business. The program costs around 8 lakh or more. This is a lot less than the cost of pursuing a master’s degree in business analytics in Canada. • Supply Chain Management: The PG diploma focuses on understanding the flow of production in SCM. The diploma program costs around 9 lakh. • Finance: The postgraduate diploma in finance covers the basics of business and financial planning. The program costs approximately 13 lakh. • Project Management: There are several project management courses in Canada. The PG diploma in project management costs around 10 lakh from Canada. • Global Business Management: Many global or international management courses in Canada are available exclusively for international students. The program costs around 9 lakh. • Marketing: The postgraduate diploma in marketing focuses on developing the skills related to market research and offers opportunities to work in the global corporate world. The program cost amounts to around 9 lakh. • Human Resource Management: PG diploma in HRM trains an individual to handle resources to further develop a symbiotic work environment, unlike MBA in Canada with HR specialisation. • Accounting: The PG diploma in Accounting costs approximately 10 lakh and covers the basics of accounting and finance.
One or Two-year PG Diploma in Canada
PG diploma courses in Canada are provided for a duration of either one year or two. The differences between both are described below. 1. One year PG Diploma in Canada One-year graduate diplomas include two to three semesters. The course costs around 10,000 CAD to 15,000 CAD. A PG diploma course of one year in Canada equips the candidate with the essential skills to enhance employability. 2. Two-Year PG Diploma in Canada The two-year diploma course consists of four to six semesters. The program costs around 13,000 CAD to 20,000 CAD. One can also combine two one-year postgraduate diploma courses to form their own two-year PG diploma program. A major advantage of opting for a two-year PG diploma course in Canada is that the two-year study courses provide an individual with a three-year work stay back option.
Scope of PG Diploma in Canada
Short courses in Canada, such as PG diplomas and certificates, allow students to experience industry exposure while they are studying. Some of the major reasons to pursue a PG diploma program in Canada are:
- PG diplomas are job-oriented programs that focus on helping students attain the necessary knowledge and skills required in the industry and businesses.
- PG diploma courses in Canada allow students with the unique opportunity to intern while they are studying, and hence they can avail of subsequent job offers.
- PG diploma colleges in Canada are cheaper than degrees in universities. These courses help students afford education abroad.
- PGDM programs focus on career-oriented education rather than research-based education.
- Studying in Canada ensures that aspirants are exposed to high-quality educational facilities in a welcoming, multicultural, and diverse environment.
Jobs after PG Diploma in Canada
As PG Diploma courses in Canada are highly career-oriented, PG diplomas in Canada prepare one for jobs within the country as well as in the global market. Depending on the course one decides to pursue, they can earn the highest salaries. The average salaries for a fresher after a PG diploma can range from 35,000 CAD to 50,000 CAD.
Eligibility for PG Diploma in Canada
Unlike a master’s degree in Canada, students can apply for a diploma course even after a three-year bachelor’s degree. It does not have many complex requirements. Some of the important eligibility requirements for pursuing PG diploma courses in Canada are: 1. An undergraduate degree in a relevant subject with at least 65 per cent aggregate marks from a recognised university. Some courses in business administration, marketing, management, etc., may require a candidate to have work experience of two years. 2. English Language Proficiency Test – International applicants must have scores of IELTS or TOEFL. – IELTS – 6.5 – TOEFL – 550 (pBT), and 213 (cBT), 88 (iBT) 3. Some Canadian universities also require GMAT or GRE scores for PG diplomas in Management and GRE scores for graduate diplomas in Science, Technology, and Engineering.
The admission process for PG diploma programs in Canada is highly flexible. The documents required for getting into PG diploma programs are:
- Transcripts of previous education
- SOP for PG diploma courses in Canada
- Proof of finances
- Study permit
- Letter of Recommendation (LOR)
Scholarships for Top PG Diploma Courses in Canada
Some of the colleges providing PG diploma courses in Canada also offer scholarship opportunities for international students. The popular scholarships for students in Canada while pursuing PG diploma courses are:
- The International in Canada Scholarship is offered to international students with a study permit by Niagara College. The scholarship awards a one-time award of 2000 CAD to students.
- Paul Foundation Scholarships are available to all students from India who wish to study abroad. The recipients of the scholarship are offered financial assistance of approximately 26,900 CAD.
- Forktip Women Innovation Scholarships are offered to women studying abroad. The grant provides financial assistance of 2000 CAD.
- Brokerfish International Student Scholarships help students cover the expenses of their health insurance. The amount of the award is 1300 CAD.
On completing a PG diploma from a Canadian college, a student can earn up to 30,000 CAD to 60,000 CAD annually. To complete PG diploma courses in Canada, students must obtain a specific set of grades that vary as per the college requirements and work simultaneously on industry projects as a part of their curriculum. PG diploma courses in Canada are gaining popularity among international students due to the low cost of investment and reduced course duration. Canadian universities offer a variety of PG diploma programs in the fields of Business Management, Marine Navigation, Healthcare Management, Structural Engineering, Hospitality Management, Science and Technology, etc. However, most international students opt for a PG diploma program in Business or Healthcare Management. The two-year PG diploma courses in Canada are structured for extensive in-depth studies. A student is exposed to many internship opportunities and study abroad programs. One of the main advantages of pursuing a two-year PG diploma course includes about 12 to 18 months of studying at less cost. If you are looking to study abroad in Canada, LeapScholar can help you identify the courses that best align with your goals and help you throughout the admission process. Frequently Asked Questions 1. When does the admission for PG diploma courses in Canada start? Ans. The application for admission to PG diploma colleges in Canada should start by January-end. The 2022 application deadlines for some top colleges in Canada are as given below:
- Algonquin College – October to February
- Centennial College – Offers are sent out in February
- Durham College – Fall Session in February and Winter Session in October
- Lambton College – February
- Humber College – February 1
- Douglas College – Fall Session – May 31 and Winter Session – September 30
- Fanshawe College – Mid October and February 1
2. What are the popular job roles for a student after completing their PG diploma in Canada? Ans. Some of the popular job roles for students after completing their PG diploma programs in Canada, along with the average salaries offered to them, are as follows:
- Graphic Designer – 42,000 CAD
- Marketing Specialist – 45,000 CAD
- HR Manager – 80,000 CAD
- Executive Assistant – 54,000 CAD
- Accounts Manager – 44,000 CAD
- QA Technician – 37,000 CAD
- Project Manager (IT) – 94,000 CAD
- Programmer Analyst – 61,000 CAD
After gaining an experience of two to three years, one can also apply for PR to settle in the country. 3. What is the basic salary offered to students of PG diplomas of top colleges in Canada? Ans. The package offered to a diploma graduate varies with the colleges and the courses they opt for. The average basic salaries offered to students with PG diplomas from the top colleges in Canada are as given below:
- Fanshawe College – 57,000 CAD
- George Brown College – 57,000 CAD
- Humber College – 61,000 CAD
- Durham College – 44,000 CAD
- Seneca College – 58,000 CAD
- Sheridan College – 54,000 CAD