Internships, popularly known as summer internships, are short-term employment opportunities for students during undergraduate courses. They provide skills required in their respective field along with professional experience. It can be an on-site or remote internship. Sometimes, students get confused between internships and work placements. Generally, internships are undertaken during the holiday period or after graduation to gain experience in the field. While work placements are part of the degree, students receive academic credit for the year by it. Internships in the UK for International students are vast and full of learning and permanent hiring opportunities. If the employer likes your work and is happy with your experience, it can help you get pre-placement offers. Also, some programs have a compulsory integrated internship in their coursework to get industry exposure.
Why Should International Students Opt For Internships?
A practical internship can pave the way for career success. A good summer internship is important for international students because of the following reasons:
- Improves Student’s CV or Resume: Many companies prefer candidates with prior experience in the related industry. Student internships give them a competitive advantage and the right industry exposure to achieve their career goals. Also, it gives an extra edge to students compared to others in the job application for a company.
- Extra Source of Income: A paid internship can help students earn some extra money. It also helps with work permits after the education.
- Choosing a Field: Internship allows students to understand the field and help them understand whether they want to pursue a career in the field or not. Also, it can help students to choose their master’s courses.
- Improve Skill Set: An internship can enhance both technical and soft skills needed for career growth. It will also
- Ease your study to work transition
- Improve your understanding of work culture
- Provides you with an insight into operations and challenges in the organisation
- Gives you real work examples for future job interviews
- Improves your confidence during the placement year
- Networking: Students meet new people and forge strong connections with them. It will help them network and understand different work ethics in the intern group. It also provides you with some valuable contacts in the industry.
- New Job Opportunity: If the UK employers find any student’s performance exceptional, they may give them a full-time job offer. Students must develop a good rapport with co-workers, be enthusiastic, show appreciation and make a good impression.
Universities Offering Paid Internships in The UK for International Students
Many universities in the UK offer paid internships to international students. Here is the list of universities and colleges offering internships in the UK for international students:
- Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge
- Coventry University, Central London
- University of Sussex
- University of Salford
- University of Glasgow
- Nottingham Trent University
- Loughborough University
- Queen Mary University of London
- Sheffield Hallam University
- Manchester Metropolitan University
Tips for Finding Internships in the UK for International Students
Finding a suitable internship in a new country isn’t easy for any international student. Here are a few tips for finding perfect internships in the UK for international students:
- Pages and Groups on LinkedIn: The site is solely dedicated to professional networking. There are several pages and groups on LinkedIn that help students advance their careers. They post-internship options regularly. Students can search for internships in the UK from the LinkedIn platform.
- Internship Portals: There are several internship portals in the UK where students can find and apply for internships. Some of the portals are:
- Student Circus: It is primarily for students with Tier 4 visas.
- Milkround: It has more than a thousand the internship posts
- TARGET Jobs: They have internship options and professional advice from the experts on the platform.
- E4S: You can find short-term summer internships. Part-time jobs and full-time jobs on the platform.
- Rate My Placement: Students can find internships here. Also, the platform solves all queries related to finding one. You can also learn ways to excel in the internship through this platform.
- Government Website: Students can also check the official UK council government website. They post full-time jobs, part-time jobs, paid internships, apprenticeships, etc., for the students. You can easily find and apply for the internships in the UK for international students through the website.
- Through University: All universities and colleges in the UK have a placement cell. University students can contact them for internship opportunities. They will suggest you and help you with the resources and documents.
- Company Websites: Students can directly check the company website and apply for paid or unpaid internships. Companies that offer internships are KPMG, Deloitte, EY, Bank of America, Rolls Royce, Barclays, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, and many more.
- Social Media: Nowadays, all big companies have a social media presence. They notify about internships on their social media pages. You can leverage the power of social media to apply for such internships.
- Use your Network: If you have a connection in the United Kingdom, family or friends, use them to see how they can help you find an internship.
- Abroad Internship: Here are some organizations that help international students find internships in the UK:
- AIESEC UK: They facilitate international student exchange programs through paid internships.
- Absolute Internship: They match UK universities students and graduates with international internships in big cities worldwide.
- The Intern Group: It is a registered company in London, England. They provide in-person programs and remote internship offers to international students in Germany, the United States, Europe, Australia, and the United Kingdom. They offer internships in London, Switzerland, Hongkong, Dublin, Madrid, New York, California, Toronto, Australia, Chile, Tokyo, Columbia, Shanghai, Barcelona, and Berlin.
- Beyond Academy: It accelerates careers by offering a unique internship program to students in 18 industries and 14 cities, including London, Tokyo, New Zealand, and New York.
- BUNAC: They offer professional internships in Australia, Canada, and the United States.
- Placement Year International: They offer paid internships and work placements to students in the field of business, hospitality, sports, and leisure.
- City Internships: They provide internship opportunities in many cities across the world. The internships offered range in various sectors, including banking, finance, healthcare, law, technology, and marketing.
- CRCC Asia: They facilitate global internships in Japan, the UK, China, and Vietnam. Most internships are in the fields of finance, law, marketing, and business.
How to apply for Internships in the UK for International Students?
Before applying for internships in the UK for international students, check the following points:
- Length Of The Internship Programme: Most summer internships last for 2 to 3 months, long enough to get the taste of the job and gain skills. But they can also last a week to a year depending upon the employer and the respective field.
- Payment: In the UK, an intern should receive at least the National Minimum Wage as per your age in a paid internship. Employers can also set hourly rates, but an intern is entitled to payment, except in the case of
- Working for charity foundations
- Work shadowing
- When it is part of higher education course
- When working with Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
The application process for internships in the UK for international students can be competitive. So make sure you apply at least six months in advance, during September, to not miss out on the opportunity. Applicants need the following documents:
- Filled out application form
- CV or Resume
- Cover letter
- Documents related to past educational degree
- Documents related to work experience, if any
The internship is a short-term period of work experience offered by various industries to national and international students. An internship is an essential part of a student’s study curriculum in some courses. It helps students to gain relevant technical and soft skills. Also, getting a good graduate job is difficult. Internships in the UK for international students can give an extra edge when interviewing for the target job. And earning some extra money through a paid internship never hurts!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there any age limit to applying for an internship in the UK?
Many internships are for college students, so they have an age limit of 18–25 years. While if you are a mature student or want to look for alternative career opportunities, check the age limit before applying.
Does an internship require any previous experience in the field?
Employers do not expect students to have past work experience. They will look out for skills you have developed during the degree. Also, it is not about the technical skills; it is more about the soft skills you have. Also, some internships look for specific previous experience; for instance, if you are applying for graphic designer internships, you likely need experience with Adobe Illustrator.
What are the top internship programs offered by UK universities for Indian students?
UK universities offer different internship programs in various fields:MBA Global Business
International Fashion Management
Biotechnology with Professional Experience
Molecular Biology with Professional Experience
PR and Consulting
Pharmacology and Drug Discovery with Professional Experience
International Hospitality Management
International Tourism Management
International Events Management