The Test of English as a Foreign Language is a standardised English language test commonly referred to as TOEFL. TOEFL iBT, which stands for Internet-Based Test, can be taken from the comfort of your home or at a test centre.
The TOEFL-iBT is 3 hours long and has four sections: Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking. It is accepted in more than 160 countries, including the USA.
Generally, most TOEFL accepting universities in USA require a score of 100, with at least 25 in each section.
A score of 100 and above can land you in top-ranking universities and help you stand out amid a competitive crowd.
If your score is in the range of 80-100, you can still get into excellent universities, but for a select number of courses, it might be hard to enrol into advanced-level classes.
TOEFL requirements are highly dependent on the course you choose. If the course you’re interested in requires a lot of human interaction and understanding complex information, such as Medical, Psychology, MBA, Law or literature, you’ll need a higher score.
Mid and lower-ranking TOEFL accepting universities in USA, such as the University of Tulsa, Arizona State University and Cleveland State University, usually accept TOEFL scores in the range of 60-80.
Stay with us as we explore everything you need to know about TOEFL accepting universities in USA.
LATEST UPDATE FOR TOEFL 2023
ETS has announced several new updates for the TOEFL exam. TOEFL has now been shortened to 2 hours, and also includes a new format. ETS has also announced new developments including a smoother registration process and announcements of results. These developments are to come into effect starting July 26th, 2023.
Universities Accepting a TOEFL score of 90-105
|University Name||Minimum Score|
|Harvard University||100 – 105|
|California Institute of Technology||100|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)||90|
|University of Pennsylvania||100|
|Johns Hopkins University||100|
|University of Notre Dame||100|
|University of California, Berkeley||90|
|University of California, Los Angeles||100+|
|Carnegie Mellon University||102+|
|University of Southern California||100; Minimum 20 in each section|
|University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill||100|
USA Universities Accepting a TOEFL score of 75-90
|University of Michigan – Ann Arbor||84|
|California Institute of Technology||79|
|University of Virginia||90|
|University of Florida||80|
Book a free call with our counsellors and get a complete list of TOEFL accepting universities in USA, including the ones that accept a score range of 60-70.
TOEFL Score for USA Student Visa
TOEFL is not just used by TOEFL accepting universities in USA, but also by the US government and other organisations.
The minimum TOEFL score for USA student visa or an F-1 visa is 90. The requirements vary based on the exact visa you’re applying for.
If your score is lesser than 90, you will be permitted a student visa considering you have a valid admission offer from the university.
TOEFL Structure Breakdown
- Reading: This section consists of 3 to 5 passages for test takers to read and answer questions. Each passage has about ten questions that will need to be answered.
- Writing The writing section is considered one of the most important sections of the TOEFL. It is further divided into two tasks:
- Integrated task (read/write/listen)
- Independent task (write only)
- Listening: This section asks test takers to listen to lectures and conversations and answer questions.
- Speaking: Unlike the IELTS, the speaking section on the TOEFL is entirely online. Test takers are given prompts on real-life situations they are asked to discuss.
Wrote TOEFL but didn’t get your ideal score? Here’s what you can do.
Not achieving an ideal TOEFL score on your first attempt is entirely normal. TOEFL is a highly competitive exam requiring great focus and dedication.
First things first, remember there are plenty of TOEFL accepting universities in USA, and you can always look for the ones that accept your score.
Here are a few more things that you can do to improve your score.
- Retake the exam: As per ETS, you may retake TOEFL as often as you like but must maintain a gap of at least three days between the tests. If you did not get your desired marks the first time, there’s always another chance.
However, we recommend that you analyse your performance, complete your preparation and then apply for the retest.
- Consider IELTS: IELTS and TOEFL are two very similar exams. If something about TOEFL needs to be fixed, consider switching to IELTS or other English proficiency tests. Universities in the US widely accept IELTS. Most TOEFL accepting universities in USA also accept IELTS, and it’s easier to find study resources for IELTS.
Since it is mainly similar to TOEFL, you can start where you left off.
- Revisit your study plans: Review your study plans and identify what went wrong. Once you recognise this, you can focus on improving yourself in that area. If you need more help, consider taking professional coaching or online study courses.
Make sure this time you set achievable goals.
How to get a good score for TOEFL accepting universities in USA?
Practice is the key to all English proficiency exams. The key to scoring good marks is allocating enough time for each section and preparing well.
Here’s what you must do to get an admit to TOEFL accepting universities in USA.
- Understand the pattern: You must familiarise yourself with the test. Pay attention to all the sections and the different types of questions.
- Have a routine: TOEFL preparation requires consistent efforts and lots of practice. Have a timetable and dedicate time to every section of the exam.
- Use English: All languages are learnt from usage. Try using the language as a mode of communication outside of your TOEFL prep.
- Make it fun: Learning English does not have to be monotonous or boring. It can be fun! You can learn English by watching English movies or tv series, reading fictional books, and listening to English songs.
- Take help: Recognising whether you can self-study or need extra guidance is important. If you think professional guidance could do you good, consider taking coaching classes or online courses. Both are equally valid methods of learning.
IELTS or TOEFL for USA: Which is better?
IELTS and TOEFL are both excellent options for testing your English proficiency. Both exams are identical in structure and try the same four skills: Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing.
Students have debated that IELTS is easier than TOEFL, especially the reading section of IELTS, but there needs to be concrete proof. The difficulty level will depend entirely on your proficiency level and language skills.
One advantage of TOEFL is that you can take it from the comfort of your home. Though IELTS has launched an online at-home version in some locations, it’s yet to be widely available, so you must take it from a test centre.
At the end of the day, it’s a matter of preference. US universities give IELTS and TOEFL equal prominence. We recommend familiarising yourself with both test patterns and considering all the factors involved before settling on one.
Students reach out to our experts daily to help them choose between IELTS and TOEFL, and you can too! Book a free 5-minute call with us to get expert guidance.
The TOEFL exam is priced at $195, (~₹16,023). TOEFL slots are available six days a week all around the world.
ETS has also released new updates for TOEFL iBT coming to effect from July 26, 2023. The latest updates include a shorter exam duration. Currently, TOEFL is three hours long. ETS is planning to reduce the duration to 2 hours, making TOEFL the shortest English proficiency exam. The reading section is reduced significantly and will have only 2 questions
ETS is also introducing a simpler registration process, enabling applicants to schedule the test with more ease. and an enhanced test experience. Furthermore, ETS will also reveal the expected date of results to the test takers.
There are highly competitive TOEFL accepting universities in USA that requires good scores to stand out. Contact our experts today to understand how US universities work and their eligibility criteria.
We also fund education in the USA. Leap Finance provides collateral-free loans for US education at interest rates as low as 8.5%. Get funding for your tuition fees, transportation, and personal expenditures up to 100% within 10 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is better: IELTS or TOEFL for USA?
There are more TOEFL accepting universities in USA compared to IELTS, and it is generally preferred for this reason. The best test for you depends on your language skills and the requirements of the university you’re applying to.
Is TOEFL useful for student visas?
Yes. Your score is required for both TOEFL accepting universities in USA and for a US student visa.
What is the validity of TOEFL scores?
TOEFL scores are valid for two years from the date of the test.
When can I retake the TOEFL?
You can retake IELTS as many times as you would like, ensuring a gap of 3 days in between.
Is TOEFL accepted all over the world?
Yes. TOEFL is accepted in more than 150 countries across the world.
Is it possible to study in the USA without a TOEFL score?
Students who have pursued their previous academic education in an English-speaking country can forgo the TOEFL when applying for universities in the USA.
Is the TOEFL easy?
The TOEFL is a comprehensive test which can be aced with some practice, depending on your level of English proficiency.