Canada is one of the top study abroad destinations for various reasons. It is home to some of the best institutions that come with highly renowned faculties offering world-class higher education. One of the most significant reasons behind Canada’s popularity among international students is the short courses offered in its universities.
Aspiring candidates who do not wish to spend a long time abroad can easily opt for 1 year courses in Canada. Such studies usually focus on a particular specialisation and make the students industry-ready. The following sections will provide a detailed guide on various one year diploma courses in Canada that international candidates can opt for.
Top 1 Year Diploma Courses in Canada
Canadian schools offer a variety of short-term courses for international students, from traditional master’s programs to more specialized skill-based courses. These are some of the most sought-after 1-year diploma courses offered to international candidates:
|Master Courses||Certificate Courses||Diploma||Graduate Certificates|
|Sociology||Bookkeeping||Acting, TV and Theatre||Information Systems Security|
|Mathematics||Office Administration||Safety Health and Environmental Management||Accounting and Final Practice|
|Political Science||Pre-Business||Cyber Security||Human Resources Management|
|Executive MBA||Commerce Industry Sales and Marketing||Business Administration||Mobile Application Development|
|Master of Engineering in Civil Engineering||Business Foundation||Data Analytics Co-op||Project Management|
|MSc in Urban and Regional Planning||Business Fundamentals||Computers and Networking||Sports Business Management|
|MA in Gender Studies and Social Justice||Office Administration-General||Digital Marketing||Building Automation System Management|
|Theological Studies||Applied Accounting||Human Security and Peacebuilding|
|MA in Sociology||Veterinary Office Administration Certificate||Disaster and Emergency Management|
|MA in History||Trades Foundation||Food Technology Safety and Quality|
Notably, these study programs may or may not include a research option.
Top Canadian Institutions for Short Diploma Courses
Canada consists of several leading as well as emerging institutions offering 1 year courses in various fields. Here are some of the best Canadian universities and colleges that international students can consider:
- McMaster University
- University of Toronto
- Carleton University
- Concordia University
- University of Alberta
- Simon Fraser University
- Thompson River University
- University of Winnipeg
- Fanshawe College
- Algonquin College
- Humber College
- Durham College
- North Island College
- Georgian College
- Centennial College and more
Interested candidates should check the official website to know more about the offered courses in detail.
Admission Requirements for 1 Year Courses in Canada
To apply for one-year diploma courses in Canada, aspiring candidates need to fulfil the following requirements:
- For post-graduate diploma or certificate courses, the institutions will ask for transcripts of Bachelor’s degrees. In the case of a post-secondary diploma, one has to submit transcripts of the last four years of high school scores. The transcripts have to be in English.
- Students from non-English speaking countries need to submit the scores of an English language proficiency test: IELTS, TOEFL, PTE or CAEL. Institutions with a French Curriculum will require applicants to submit marks of French proficiency tests like DELF, DALF, TEF and others.
- A Canadian study permit is necessary for candidates looking to pursue 1 year courses in Canada. In case the course duration is lesser than six months, one can apply with a temporary visa.
In addition to this, one would require the following documents for admission:
- A valid passport
- Travel documents
- Acceptance letter from the institution
- Statement of Purpose
- Letter of Recommendation and others
The education system of Canada is usually under provincial jurisdiction. So, the admission requirements for certificate or diploma courses will vary across institutions.
Reasons to Pursue Short Courses in Canada
Short courses offered in Canadian institutions are job-oriented and aim at focusing on the practical aspect of learning. Here’s why Indian students can choose to apply for diploma 1 year courses in Canada:
- Diploma courses usually last for around one year except for some engineering courses, which might be longer. Naturally, these study programs are ideal for those candidates who intend to complete an educational program within a short period.
- Short courses in Canada are also quite affordable, starting at around $2,000 for each year. On the other hand, degree courses can extend up to $20,000 per month.
- These courses are accepted across Canada and can be considered for different types of job roles.
- International students can opt for Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) after taking up a course for eight months or more. So, candidates can opt for PGWP once they are done with a diploma course.
Canadian institutions offering one-year diploma courses include an integrated internship with the course. Candidates can get a first-hand working experience in Canada after completion of a short course. As mentioned, students enrolled in a short diploma course can apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit. With this work permit, one can opt to work full-time or part-time in Canada.
One-year courses in Canada might not have much global recognition. However, it is one of the most affordable and easiest routes to receive a Canadian Permanent Residency. International students can also opt for various scholarships or financial grants to fund these courses.
Canadian universities provide short courses. Such courses are suited for those who want to finish their higher education in a short amount of time. Along with time, the expenses come down as well becoming more convenient to candidates. Studying abroad exposes you to various opportunities. It can be the perfect decision for students wanting to secure a good career.
1. What are some of the short term courses offered at the University of Toronto?
Ans: The University of Toronto is one of the leading institutions providing 1 year courses in Canada across numerous disciplines. Here are some of the top one-year diploma courses for international students:
a. M.E in Civil Engineering (1 year)
b. MA in Psychology (1 year)
c. Executive MBA (1 year)
d. MSc. in Pharmaceutical Science (15 months)
e. MSc. in Computer Science (16 months)
In addition to these, one can also choose from other courses. Candidates can look up the official website for more information about each of the diploma programs.
2. How to apply for a 1 year diploma course in Canada?
Ans: Students need to visit the official website of the shortlisted institutions to obtain essential details about the admission process, requirements, deadline, and eligibility criteria. They should provide all the necessary documents and meet the prescribed eligibility to increase the chances of acceptance.
3. Can I get a job in India with a one-year diploma course in Canada?
Ans: Short courses can help international students secure a job in Canada. However, these courses do not get much recognition in other countries and hence might not be helpful to ensure placement in countries like India.