In this blog you will learn:
- Latest topic-wise IELTS essay prompts
- Types of essay & their samples to help ace the IELTS Writing task 2
- Crucial tips & tricks to prepare for IELTS essay writing
- Additional sample questions for your practise
IELTS Writing section is a 60 minutes’ test that comprises 2 questions: task 1 and task 2. In task 2, candidates are required to write an essay of 250 words on a topic provided by the examiners. The assessment of this task is done on the basis of several parameters such as vocabulary, number of words used, grammar, and more.
Here’s a list of the latest IELTS essay topics along with sample questions to help you prepare for task 2 of the IELTS Writing section efficiently.
Latest IELTS Essay Topics for 2022
IELTS essay writing topics are usually based on current events and world affairs. In the following listicles, you will find a series of essay writing topics for IELTS. These topics are stated below:
Business & Global Consumerism
Apart from the above-mentioned fields, one can expect the latest IELTS essay topics from various other sections like crime, space, and more.
Types of IELTS Essays
IELTS essay writing topics are usually classified under various sections. You can expect essays in the IELTS exam from any of the following types:
In this type of essays you need to discuss your opinion on the given topic. Naturally, the best way to score high in such essays is to have prior knowledge of common topics that are popular in IELTS exam.
You can also check out this detailed guide on opinion essays to learn the appropriate structure for maximum score!
In the case of discussion essays, the candidates need to put forward an explanation for or against any given topic. Such essays are the most common to appear in IELTS exam.
We have covered useful tips & tricks to attempt discussion essays that can come in handy in your exam.
For solution essays, you will have to provide a solution to a particular issue. At times, the questions might be provided as to why a certain issue has taken place and candidates have to provide their opinion as to the answer.
Check out our sample question and answer on solution essays for more thorough explanation.
Advantage or Disadvantage Essays
In this type of essay, students have to write about the positive and negative sides of a particular topic. Such essays test your argument construction skills and how well you can use English to put your point across as clearly and coherently as possible.
Use the sample questions from advantage/disadvantage essay type to practise your writing skills.
Direct Question Essays
For this type of essay, the topics will be provided as a direct question which students have to answer based on their experiences and thoughts.
You can get more information of this rare essay type question on our blog direct question essay structure
Sample Essays for IELTS Writing Task 2
One of the most effective ways to prepare for answering essays in the Writing section of IELTS is to work on the sample essay questions. Here is a comprehensive list of IELTS essay writing samples to help students looking for the latest IELTS essay topics:
- International tourism has greatly benefited many places. However, there have been major concerns about its impact on the local environment and inhabitants. Do the negative impacts of international tourism outweigh the benefits?
- Many believe living in big cities comes with more advantages than residing in the countryside. Do you agree or disagree with this?
- Some countries have recently passed laws to restrict daily working hours of employees. Explain whether this will have a positive or negative impact.
- More and more people today are visiting extreme places such as Antarctica or the Sahara desert. What are the advantages or disadvantages of such travels?
- Shopping habits of people depend more on their age group than on any other factors. Do you agree or disagree with this?
- Social media is gradually replacing in-person face-to-face contact with many people worldwide. Do the benefits of social media outweigh the disadvantages?
- Most teenagers today own a smartphone. Provide your opinion to discuss the advantages and disadvantages.
- Shopping used to be a routine domestic task in the past. However, today, it has become more of a hobby. Is this a positive trend?
- More and more children and minors are becoming overweight in developed nations. This is a major problem for most wealthy countries. Explain the causes and impacts of this issue.
- Crime novels and TV series have become quite popular in recent years. What is your opinion about these crime dramas?
- Developing nations often require international assistance. Many believe that this assistance should be monetary, while some think practical help and advice would be more beneficial. Discuss both these views along with your opinion.
- The internet is a great invention that brings a host of advantages for the world population. However, there are several issues in terms of security and control of personal data. Do you agree or disagree with this?
- Many consider automobiles to be the biggest source of pollution in urban areas, while some believe industries are responsible for it. Explain both views and provide your opinion.
- The massive movement of people from agricultural areas to cities in search of employment can lead to serious problems in both places. What are the problems, and how can these be solved?
- Many people believe individuals involved with creative arts should be financially supported by the government. Some others believe they should find separate resources. Discuss each of the views and give your opinion.
- Some believe success in life comes from hard work, dedication, and motivation. While many believe success depends on other important factors like money and appearance. Discuss both views and provide your opinion.
- Advertising prevents the originality in people and makes them look the same and do the same. Do you agree or disagree with this?
- Many think that governments should fund programs in search of life on other planets. However, others believe governments should focus on unresolved issues of the planet. Provide your opinion and discuss both views.
- Parents today often tend to organise extra classes on weekends or even after school. Do you believe this is at all useful? Or, do you think the education provided in school is sufficient?
- Some people believe that capital punishment should be done away with. Do you agree or disagree with this?
How to Answer Task 2 Essays in IELTS Writing Section?
Students can employ the following steps to enhance their ability to answer essays in the Writing section successfully:
Read and Understand the Question
The first step to nailing task 2 essays is to read the question carefully and understand it. Most of the time, candidates answer the question without entirely understanding what it actually demands.
Candidates should carefully analyse the question, identify the question type and try to identify the keywords. Finally, they should clearly understand the instructions and then attempt to answer.
Plan the Answer
Once students have understood the question, they need to plan the structure of the answer. This will allow candidates to organise their ideas and thereby produce a clear and coherent answer.
Write a Solid Introduction
The introduction of the essay should give an idea about what the essay is all about. Make sure to write an appropriate introduction conveying the gist of the essay.
Carefully Curate the Main Body
The main body is the essential part of the essay where you need to provide the necessary details. State your points accordingly and substantiate with explanations, examples, and other relevant data. Once done, you need to provide a proper conclusion.
Tips for IELTS Writing Task 2
Candidates can use the following tips to ace their IELTS Writing test:
- Make sure to find answers outside the box.
- The Writing section is a 60 minutes test with two questions. One should work on time management skills to answer both questions comfortably within the stipulated time frame.
- Try to connect the provided topic with reality and current affairs as much as possible.
- Make sure to avoid writing in a single paragraph. Try to break down the paragraphs wherever required and learn to establish links between each paragraph.
If you are planning to prepare for the essay task in the Writing section, you can go through this comprehensive guide to get an idea about the latest IELTS essay topics. You can prepare for the essay task accordingly with the help of sample essay topics and questions provided in the above sections.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How are the essays marked?
Essays in the Writing section are usually marked on the basis of various parameters. These parameters include grammar and collocations, rational flow of thoughts, organisation of ideas, vocabulary, and more.
2. What should I do to write an effective essay?
IELTS essay topics are usually based on current affairs and world events. To write effective essays, one needs to understand the questions first and then plan the answer accordingly. The main body should have all the necessary details corroborated with explanations, examples, and data. Moreover, one needs to focus on grammar and vocabulary.
3. Can I write more than the prescribed word limit of 250 words?
Yes, you can write an essay in task 2 that is more than 250 words.