Canada is known for its globally recognised Universities offering various courses to International students. The programmes offered by these Universities also help students to upskill themselves and build their career roadmap. In this regard, the demand of organisations for managers with good knowledge of engineering is increasing day by day. So, engineering students who are planning to move ahead in management can go for a Masters in Engineering Management in Canada.
Top Universities Offering Masters in Engineering Management Courses in Canada
Master’s in engineering management in Canada is a two-year degree programme that combines business management and engineering technology. The top Universities that offer postgraduate courses in engineering management are given below:
|University||Offered Programmes||Tuition Fee (CAD)||Course Duration|
|University of Windsor||Master’s in Engineering Management (MEM)||$ 20700||2-years|
|University of Regina||MBA in Engineering Management||$ 30000||2-years|
|University of Ottawa||MEng in Engineering Management||$ 11,135 – 24,400||2-years|
|University of Alberta||Master in Engineering Management (MEng)|
Master of Science in Engineering Management (MS)
|Memorial University of Newfoundland (MUN)||Master’s of Applied Sciences in Engineering Management (MASc)||$ 2,400-3,600||1.5-years|
|University of Ontario Institute of Technology||Master’s in Engineering Management (MGM)||$ 17000||2-years|
Now that the aspiring individuals know about the Universities offering Master’s in Engineering Management in Canada, let’s proceed to know how to apply for this course in Canada.
Apply for a Master’s in Engineering Management in Canada
Students from different countries planning to attain a Master’s degree in Engineering Management in Canada need to fulfil all the eligibility criteria of the Universities. In addition, they need to submit all the mandatory documents with their applications and have a Canadian study permit.For this, individuals need to know about these Universities’ eligibility criteria lists before applying. The eligibility requirements and admission process for international students opting for a Master’s in Engineering Management are discussed in the next section.
Here are some basic eligibility requirements for the course Masters in Engineering Management in Canada:
- For a Master’s degree programme, applicants need to have a four years Bachelor’s degree from a recognised University or college with a good score. For example, if applicants had a three years graduation degree, they should have an extra graduate diploma or Master’s degree.
- Most Universities require GMAT or GRE scores. However, they can waive off GRE or GMAT scores for candidates with exceptional work experience.
- Candidates should have two to three letters of recommendation that describe their academic performances, leadership skills and work experience.
- The aspiring candidate also needs a statement of purpose or personal statement.
- Candidates need IELTS or TOEFL scores, which are applicable for international students who do not have English as their native language.
- All undergraduate and graduate students need transcripts to meet these eligibility criteria.
- The students who have limited or no work experience can apply for the specially designed Masters in Engineering Management programmes. It is only applicable to aspirants who do not have more than five years of work experience. Students should remember that the work experience parameters change and vary from one University to another.
- Many Universities need students to have enough prerequisite knowledge in advanced technical skills, preferably calculus and statistics or complete a prerequisite programme. So, applicants should know about the prerequisite programmes.
Following is a list of Universities and the required GPA as per their eligibility criteria for admission.
|Name of University||GMAT/GRE||GPA||Interview||LOR||SOI/|
|University of Windsor||NA||3||NA||2||Required|
|University of Regina||GMAT- 550 or equivalent GRE||3||Mandatory||2||Not required|
|University of Ottawa||NA||3||NA||2||Not required|
|University of Alberta||NA||3.5 (MEng) and 3.0 (MS)||NA||2||Required|
|Memorial University of Newfoundland (MUN)||NA||3||Mandatory||2||Not required|
|University of Ontario Institute of Technology||NA||3||NA||2||Not required|
Certain Universities require the applicants to have prior work experience. So, here are the details about the work experience requirement of each University.
|Name of University||Work Experience Criteria|
|University of Windsor||Two years of work experience|
|University of Regina||Two years of work experience|
|University of Ottawa||Required|
|University of Alberta||Recommended|
|Memorial University of Newfoundland (MUN)||Not required|
|University of Ontario Institute of Technology||Not required|
If the applicants are non-native speakers of English, they must appear for English proficiency tests such as IELTS, TOEFL, etc. The English proficiency scores required to apply for a Master’s in Engineering Management at these Universities are given below:
|Name of University||IELTS (Minimum Score)||TOEFL iBT (Minimum Score)|
|University of Windsor||7||100|
|University of Regina||6.5||80|
|University of Ottawa||6.5||79-80|
|University of Alberta||6.5||93|
|The Memorial University of Newfoundland (MUN)||6.5||92|
|University of Ontario Institute of Technology||6.5||83-87|
Now that individuals know the eligibility criteria, they can also check the types of postgraduate Engineering Management courses this country offers.
What are the Different Types of Masters in Engineering Management in Canada?
Master’s in Engineering Management is the most specialised course for engineering graduates. It is a rather common course for engineering graduates because of the stringent admission criteria and higher study cost of doing an MBA. With a focus on product development, technical production, design engineering, and other aspects, a Master’s in Engineering Management unites engineering with business. This programme gives the students various types of degrees like:
- MEM: Master’s in Engineering Management
- MEng: Department of Engineering with Management
- MBA in Engineering Management: Business Administration with an Engineering Management specialisation
- MASc Engineering Management: An Applied Science Master with Engineering Management
Before applying for any course, individuals should know about the deadline for filling out and submitting the application form. The deadlines for every University are mentioned in the next section.
Deadlines for Applying for Master in Engineering Management in Canada
Application forms for Master’s programmes can be filled out online through the University’s official portal. Individuals are suggested to go through the official course pages of the respective universities to fill out the applications.
|Name of University||Deadlines|
|University of Windsor||31st May|
|University of Regina||1st March, 1st July, 1st October|
|University of Ottawa||31st January|
|University of Alberta||1st July|
|Memorial University of Newfoundland (MUN)||1st November|
|University of Ontario Institute of Technology||3rd September|
Canada provides ample employment opportunities in this domain with handsome salaries. So, aspiring students should go through this piece containing detailed information regarding Masters in Engineering Management in Canada before applying.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the tuition fees for Master’s in Engineering Management in Canada?
The tuition fees for Master’s in Engineering Management in Canada range from 10,000 CAD to 30,000 CAD.
2. What is the minimum score of IELTS to take admission in Masters in Engineering Management in Canada?
The minimum eligibility score for IELTS varies from University to University. However, for most Universities, the minimum score for IELTS is 6.5.