- Master in Construction Management aims to educate students regarding the management of construction projects from scratch till the end.
- Construction Management is one of the most demanding industries in the UK.
- The blog covers top universities in the UK for pursuing MSc in Construction Management.
- Construction Project Management and the scope of the course are also explained in this blog.
A Masters in Construction Management in the UK is gradually becoming one of the most well thought out and quick options to become a construction wizard and land up with a handsome compensation in leading construction and infrastructure companies. The duration of this course is generally 1-2 years while its tuition fees range between 15,000-27,000 pounds.
Scroll ahead and continue reading this blog to understand all about this construction course that can help you enhance your skills and significantly polish both theoretical and practical knowledge of the construction industry.
Overview of Masters in Construction Management in the UK
The course aims at helping professionals pursue a career in construction project management by teaching the process and principles in detail. The technological process, along with the essential business functions associated with construction management, is covered in the course. Pursuing a master’s in construction management in the UK will help you continuously develop and understand the role of a construction manager.
Top Rated Universities for Construction Management in the UK
Here’s a list of the best universities where students can enroll for masters in construction management in the UK:
University of Manchester
The University of Manchester prepares graduates and students to handle construction projects professionally. MSc in construction management from the university enables the students to understand all the facets of construction management, including technical, strategic, and organizational aspects.
The MSc in construction project management from the University of Manchester is structured in a way that can help the students learn all the theoretical and practical aspects of the construction projects and how to manage them in the best possible way. The one year course includes the following units in its curriculum:
- People and Organizations
- Project Management Research Methods
- Management of Projects
- Construction Project Management Professional Practice
- Project Planning and Control
- MoP Dissertation
- Risk Management
- Environmental Assessment
- Project Finance for Infrastructure Projects
- Conflict Management and Dispute Resolution
The entry requirements for this course are as follows:
- The minimum requirement for the entrance of applicants for this MSc course is an upper second class(2:1) UK honours degree or an international equivalent in relevant subjects such as management discipline, science, or relevant engineering.
- The percentage requirement is in the range of 60-80% further, depending on the prior university’s grading scale and quality of education.
- An IELTS (English language proficiency) score of 6.5
- A TOEFL iBT score of 90
- International students: £28,000 per annum
University of Birmingham
Enrolling in Construction Project Management MSc at the University of Birmingham is an effective way of preparing yourself for professionally handling complex construction projects in the ever-changing and dynamic environment.
- The program provides you with all the essential knowledge and skills needed for a successful career as a construction project manager.
- Graduates with a degree in certain fields, including civil engineering, real estate, surveying, architecture, etc., can easily enter the construction management industry and have several other career options after obtaining MSc in construction management.
- Fully accredited by RICS, CABE, and CIOB, the MSc in construction project management prepares you for the construction industry in the best way possible.
- A UK honours degree at 2:2 or above equivalent in fields such as civil engineering, surveying, real estate, etc.
- In a few exceptional circumstances, students with relevant professional experience may be called for an interview and test, wherein the applicant will be required to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of the course.
- An IELTS score of 6
- A TOEFL iBT score of 80
- International students: £ 25,740 per annum
Queen’s University Belfast
The master’s in construction management at Queen’s University Belfast has been designed in a way that can help you polish your practical, intellectual, and professional skills so that analysis, interpretation, and understanding of construction projects and their management can be made efficiently.
- The core focus of Msc construction management is project management which can prove to be beneficial not just in the construction sector but in several other industries as well.
- The application of management methods to design, engineering, and construction problems is taught in-depth.
- Guest lectures, field visits, and case studies are some additional aspects of this course that can provide you with a deep insight into how the industry works.
- Accredited by RICS, CIOB, CEng, this program provides you with an opportunity to become a chartered engineer and opens several other career opportunities.
- A 2.2 honours degree or above in relevant science, management, architecture, social science discipline, etc.
- An IELTS score of 6.5
- PTE Score of 62/90
- International students: £ 18,200
MSc Construction Management has been running for the past 20 years at Loughborough University. The course targets to help the professionals look at the construction process holistically.
- Core study aspects of the course include design management, sustainability in the business environment, and building information modelling.
- Fully accredited by the JBM, RICS, CIOB.
- The course allows its students to choose from different business-oriented modules and shape their career paths.
- The university works in collaboration with global steel manufacturer Tata Steel.
- A 2:1 honours degree or equivalent in a built environment-related subject.
- A minimum of 65% for applicants passed from a high-ranking Indian University.
- An eligibility score of 6.5/9 in IELTS.
- International students: £ 26,500 per annum.
Student VISA requirements for Construction Management in the UK
Tier 4 visas are essential for international students looking to get admission to the UK. Tier 4 Visa is provided to students aged 16 years or above, with the acceptance rate being 85%. Look into this list of requirements essential for attaining a student visa in the UK:
- Successful completion of online form
- Proof of the having enough funding to pay for the tuition fee of course and monthly expenditures
- Confirmation for Acceptance of Studies (CAS)
- A valid passport
- Passport size recent photograph
- Health surcharge of 300 GBP annually
Scope of Employment Opportunities in the UK after Pursuing Masters in Construction Management
The short-term course is an extremely valuable course for international students aiming to grasp engineering management-relevant expertise with the help of resources and study materials in minimal duration. The various on-field trips and visits organized during the duration of the course prove to be instrumental in helping students gain practical insight into the construction industry.
The internship and job opportunities thrive for students after completing their masters in construction management in the UK. Several aspects of the industry are learned along with management skills essential for the long run in the corporate world of construction engineering. Postgraduates in construction can opt for and succeed in various related fields such as investment appraisal, construction management, architectural design, and general business management.
Some of the job prospects that are open for students after completion of this course and can pay well after the completion of construction management are:
- Environmental engineers
- Management consultants
- Financial managers
- Town planners
- CAD technicians
- Urban Development
- Planning Surveyors
With London being the highest-paying city, on average, a construction management programme postgraduate can earn £ 25,000 per annum. Moreover, if you’re amongst the top earners, you even make more than £ 75,000 annually. Eventually, an individual’s salary depends on their skill set, experience, certifications completed, etc.
With the growing need to have a sustainable, secure, and comfortable place to live or work in, the demand for a professionally responsible construction manager has been increasing significantly over the years. Follow your dreams of becoming a creative construction manager by pursuing a master’s in construction management in the UK, one of the best courses out there that can help you garner the best of on-site and theoretical skills.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What job opportunities can I get if I opt for Quantity Surveying along with my degree of Masters in Construction Management in the UK?
Ans. The role of quantity surveyor provides you with immense opportunities to travel as a part of your profile. While initially, a quantity surveyor can earn an income that ranges between 17.7 Lac to 24.6 Lac INR annually, an experienced surveyor can make somewhere between 49 Lac to 78.9 Lac per annum.
Q2. Is MSc Construction Project Management a sought-after course in the UK?
Ans. Yes, Construction Management is a course that’s in extreme demand in the UK. Moreover, this sector is expected to grow approximately 11% more in the coming future.
Q3. What are some core skills required to be successful in Construction Management?
Ans. Here are a few skills that can help you flourish in your career successfully after completing Construction Management:
- Decision Making Skills
- Communication Skills
- Business Skills
- Leadership Skills
- Technical Skills
- Analytical Skills
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?