- This blog highlights the top universities that provide Masters in Education in the UK.
- It also lists down the core and elective subjects taught in the course.
- The blog also includes information on the eligibility criteria, scopes after the course and other related topics.
Masters In Education UK is a year-long program. This course is for those individuals who want to be a part of the education and training industry. Although this seems a technical field, it includes political, cultural, and sociological parameters as well. However, the structure of the syllabus may vary in different institutions. The curriculum typically has certain general core and elective subjects. If you are looking for details on MA in Education in the UK, this blog is going to help you with all the related information.
Best Universities for Masters In Education UK
The following table shows a list of the most popular universities in the UK that offer M.Ed., sorted on the basis of their QS rankings:
|Name of the Universities||QS Ranking||Course Duration|
|Oxford University||5||1 Year|
|Cambridge University||7||10 Months|
|University College London||10||1 Year|
|University of Edinburgh||20||1 Year|
|King’s College London||22||1 Year|
|University of Manchester||27||1 Year|
|University of Bristol||62||1 Year|
|University of Glasgow||73||1 Year|
|University of Birmingham||90||1 Year|
|University of Nottingham||103||1 Year|
Subjects Taught in M.Ed.
The M.Ed. subjects can be divided into two parts according to their curriculum:
|Core Subjects||Elective Subjects|
|Educational Studies||Policy, Planning, and Financing of Education for Secondary and Senior Secondary Studies|
|Sociological Foundation of Education||Education Management and Planning at Secondary Level|
|Methodology of Educational Research||Guidance Counselling|
|Comparative Education||Value Education|
|Teacher Education in Global Perspective||Business Education|
|Advanced Methods in Educational Research||Science Education|
|Curriculum Studies in Education||Environmental Education|
|Philosophical Foundation of Education||Peace Education|
|Educational Psychology||Educational Technology|
|Historical and Political Perspective of Education||Contemporary Concern in Elementary Education|
|Human Rights and Education||Educational, Vocational Guidance and Counselling|
|Information and Communication Technology in Education||Educational Administration|
Universities & Tuition Fees
When you are sorting which university suits you better, make certain that you check the fees structure. It is essential because your further financial planning begins from this. The following table shows how much the popular universities charge as their annual tuition fees:
|Name of the University||Annual Fees|
|University of Bristol||12,000 GBP|
|King’s College London||17,900 GBP|
|University of Glasgow||18,370 GBP|
|University of Birmingham||18,450 GBP|
|University of Manchester||19,000 GBP|
|University College London||20,110 GBP|
|University of Nottingham||20,950 GBP|
|University of Edinburgh||22,850 GBP|
|Oxford University||23,505 GBP|
|Cambridge University||25,740 GBP|
Scholarships for Masters of Education in the UK
Studying Master’s in the UK can take a toll on your savings. However, you can always check for financial grants and scholarships. Here is a list of scholarships you can avail. In the table below, you can check out the scholarships available for students pursuing M.Ed. in the UK.
|Name of the Scholarship||Scholarship Provider||Stipend Amount|
|Gates Cambridge Scholarships||Cambridge University||500 – 2,000 GBP|
|Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships||The UK Government||1,330 GBP|
|Clarendon Scholarships||Oxford University||15,009 GBP|
|Chevening Scholarship||The UK Government||18,000 GBP|
|Edinburgh Global Research Scholarship||The University of Edinburgh||—|
Eligibility Criteria for Pursuing Masters In Education UK
The requirements for the M.Ed. candidates vary according to different programs or specialisations of the course. However, some pre-requisites remain the same.
- Having a Bachelor’s degree in Education or a related field
- If you do not have a B.Ed. degree but have a few years of work experience as an educational trainer or a teacher, you are eligible for M.Ed
- You have to appear for any English language proficiency test. Although most universities in the UK ask for IELTS scores, some may demand TOEFL scores as well.
Admission Procedure for MA in Education in the UK
The process of admission for international and domestic students is different. In addition to other supporting documents, international students need to provide scorecards of English language proficiency.
The documents required at the time of admission are:
- Properly filled application form of the respective university
- An essay stating your purpose for choosing the particular institution
- A CV to inform if you have any previous work experience
- You can also submit letters of reference (LORs) from your previous institutions
- Include your IELTS and TOEFL scorecards
- If you have any certificates for extra-curricular activities, you can include them as well
Benefits of Studying Masters in Education in the UK
The United Kingdom is popular among students for M.Ed. not because it offers a lavish lifestyle for them. Its main reason is that every university offers training programs so that the students can get hired at higher levels.
Studying M.Ed. in the UK comes with its own perks:
- You can start working as a school teacher during the course before completing Quality Teacher Status.
- Once you start working after pursuing a Master’s In Education UK, you can earn 29% more than those only with a B.Ed.
- Universities in the UK offer 40+ types of coursework in M.Ed.
- As per the reports by the Department of Education, there are over 50,000 full-time teachers in the UK. Hence, this proves that there are abundant job opportunities in the UK.
Opportunities After Pursuing MA in Education in the UK
Completing a Master’s Degree in Education prepares you for a number of job opportunities.
These are some of the most popular career choices according to the students in the UK.
- Primary Or Secondary School Teacher
- Educational Consultant
- Educational Advisor
- Community Educational Officer
- Foreign Language Instructor
- Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO)
- Teaching Assistant
- Career Advisor
- Child Psychotherapist
- Health Play Specialist
- Museum Officer
- Private Tutor
Now that the aspiring students have detailed knowledge of pursuing a Master’s In Education UK, they will be able to apply to their preferred colleges and universities in a hassle-free manner. Go through the eligibility criteria of the different institutions and keep the necessary documents handy while applying for a smooth experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the compulsory entrance exams for international students?
Ans. International students need to appear for IELTS and TOEFL as their compulsory entrance exams. The minimum score required for IELTS is 6 to 6.5, and for TOEFL it is 80. Both of these tests are conducted online.
2. What is the scope after completing a Master’s In Education UK?
Ans. Students can apply in various sectors after completing their M.Ed. in the UK. Some of the career options are Academic Advisor, Instructional Designer, Academic Specialist and Business Development Manager. You can earn around 35,000 GBP to 80,000 GBP per year.
3. Can you teach college with a Masters In Education?
Ans. Yes, after completing a Master’s degree in Education, individuals are eligible to teach in colleges both on-campus or online. Further, they have the requisite skill set to work with various student organisations involved in admissions and research work.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?