- London is a culturally diverse city with academic excellence in most fields. It is called the “Educational Capital” of the world.
- You have a variety of colleges to choose from with numerous courses in each of them. There are more than 100,000 international students studying in London.
- London is a perfect place to study as five of the higher educational institutions here come in the world’s top 100.
Among the many great cities globally, London is said to be the ‘Educational Capital’ of the world. It is evident in the 2017/18 statistics, which recorded over 111,000 international students studying in universities in London. Moreover, five higher educational institutions in London belong to the world’s top 100 universities list, proving that this city is perfect for studying. The education system in London is set up to provide students with higher education, innovative study modules, research activities, and leading international professors. Moreover, many political, scientific, and cultural celebrities have educated themselves in the United Kingdom or UK cities. So, if you do decide to study in the UK, you are sure to develop academically due to the high quality of education and also socially due to its vibrant and energetic lifestyle. If you wish to study abroad anywhere in Europe, studying in the heart of London is a great choice. The academic excellence and learning experience that you can achieve in any of the UK universities is unmatched.
Reasons to Choose London as your Study Destination
- London is a culturally diverse city full of rich experiences. Being surrounded by people from different ethnicities, religions, political views, economic classes, and nationalities, you get to experience life-changing learnings.
- The healthcare system is one of the best in the UK, with access to the NHS (National Health Service), which provides safe and modern treatment.
- London is a global centre for education and is home to leading research projects. It has four of the world’s top 40 universities and is a global hub for industries including fashion, media, publishing, and finance.
Find the Best University in London
If you are keen to Study In London, you must do your research well to find among the many universities in London that offer the degree you want. Some of the popular universities in the UK are as follows:
The University College of Osteopathy
- Ranking: 363
- Popular Course: Osteopathy M.Ost and Nutrition Bsc
- Average Tuition Fees: £9250-11,250 per year
- Ranking: 332
- Popular Courses: Accounting and Finance MSc, Advanced Computing Technologies MSc
- Average Tuition Fees: 9250 GBP- 13,350 GBP per year
Brunel University London
- Ranking; 368
- Popular Course: Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy Anthropology
- Average Tuition Fees: 9,000 GBP-17,500 GBP per year
City, University of London
- Ranking: 330
- Popular Course: Arts, Media, and Business
- Average Tuition Fees: 9,250 GBP per year
Imperial College London
- Ranking: 7th
- Popular Courses: Biochemistry, Cell Biology
- Average Tuition Fees: 9,250 GBP per year
Courtauld University of Art
- Ranking: 669
- Popular Courses: BA History
- Average Tuition Fees: 15,000 GBP to 18,000 GBP per year
The University of East London
- Ranking: 801
- Popular Courses: BTech, MA, BBA, MEM
- Average Tuition Fees: 9,250 GBP per year
- Ranking: 461
- Popular Courses: Arts and Social Sciences
- Average Tuition Fees: 9,000 GBP to 12,710 GBP per year
London Business School
- Ranking: 3
- Popular Courses: MBA and EMBA
- Average Tuition Fees: 92,735 GBP per year
University of London
- Ranking: 16
- Popular Courses: Degrees in Economics, Law, Mathematics
- Average Tuition Fees: 19,720 to 28,610 GBP per year
In addition, there are many more universities in London that have branch campuses. Most of these universities provide you with all the information you need on their official website.
Other good universities include Cambridge University, London School of Economics, King’s College London, Brighton university, etc.
Find the Best Degree Course for Studying in the UK
To know what degree you should Study In London, UK, you must carefully research and find the subjects in demand in the employment market. We bring you a list of subjects you must study at a university in London to give yourself a chance to have a long and successful career. They are as follows:
Roughly 42,540 students are studying History in the UK, which means there is a demand for students studying this subject with regard to employment. The average salary for a History degree graduate is about £30,000 per year. You are offered a job as an academic researcher, archivist, or museum education officer at various institutions worldwide.
It is a course that covers varied subjects ecology, anatomy and physiology, biochemistry and biotechnology, biology and behaviour of social insects, genetics and molecular biology, immunology, plant and algal physiology, statistical and quantitative skills for biologists, stem cells and tissue engineering, and vertebrate zoology within it. As a result, you can find employment in a variety of job profiles.
Since 2009, there has been a consistent rise in the demand for nurses in the UK. Currently, 45, 759 students are studying Nursing, a clear case of demand for the course.
Teaching is a profession that is considered very noble by the British Society and given much importance. Hence the demand for education courses in the UK is high.
A course many undergraduate students in the UK opt for. Currently, 61,055 students are studying psychology in the country.
IT and Computer Science
It is the Digital Age that we are living in, and hence the demand for IT and Computer Science is on the rise.
Art and Design
The Art and Design industry in the UK is vibrant, commercially strong, and provides students with great employment opportunities.
Sociology and Social Studies
Studying sociology in the UK helps you achieve a wide range of strong transferable and social skills. You graduate with the qualities that an employer looks for and can apply these skills in your profession globally. The starting salary of a student in this subject is around £16,000 – £20,000.
Studying Law in London allows students to pursue multiple streams that range from international laws on trade & banking to international laws on human rights. Students can also pursue higher degrees in studying British laws, given that the UK is a hub for global investments in real estate, services, healthcare and other sectors.
Business and Management Studies
From marketing to financial management, the Business and Management Studies course trains the student in every aspect of business, thereby giving a student more opportunities to find employment.
Application Process to Study In London
If you are looking to apply to a University in London, you must be aware of the entry requirements. The documents required while submitting your admission application will vary according to your chosen university, the course of your choice, and personal circumstances.
However, you will generally require a few basic documents to apply to any London university. They are as follows:
- A bachelor’s or a master’s degree from a recognised university
- Certified Grade certificate
- Proof of English Proficiency – IELTS 6.0 and above, TOEFL 100 and above
- CV or Resume
- Motivation letter or Reference Letter
Admission Deadlines to Study in the UK
The deadlines for filling in admission applications vary from university to university. Most universities in London tend to collect applications during the following period:
- January to February: This is for the Summer Semester
- September to October: This is for the Winter Semester
However, it must be noted that the admission application deadlines for enrolling in London Universities are flexible. In fact, on special occasions, universities in London do accept applications from international students post the deadlines.
You must check the website of the university you intend to Study In London under the UCAS application deadlines section so that you apply well before time.
Cost to Study In London
When it comes to the cost of education in the UK, it is to some extent high. The tuition fees vary from university to university and must be checked when finalising a college. The exact cost will depend on your chosen university, degree, nationality, etc. An international student fee is more than a national/domestic student. You also need to bear in mind your accommodation, food costs, and other costs of living in central London.
Overall, as an international student, you will have to pay an average annual fee of about £13,000 to study at a university in London. The minimum one may have to pay as an international student is around £8,000, and the maximum is around £38,000 for studying in certain elite universities.
The course you select to Study In London also impacts the cost of tuition fees.
For example, a Medicine degree involves using many clinical materials; therefore, additional funds are required. It is the main reason why the cost for such a course would be high as compared to, say, a management course. However, most of the extra fees are used to maintain medical facilities and provide high-quality teaching.
Types of Scholarships You can Avail to Study In London
To fulfil your dream of studying at a London University, here are some scholarships you can check out:
- Chevening Scholarship
- Commonwealth Scholarship
- Rose Bursary, University College London
- Unite Foundation Scholarships, Queen Mary London
- Betty MacQuitty Scholarship LSE
- University of Westminster International Scholarships
Visa Requirements to Study at a University in London
After getting an offer (Confirmation of Acceptance Studies or CAS) from a university to Study In London, you will need to fulfil the following requirements:
- Be more than 16 years old to be eligible to get a UK student visa.
- Use the ‘Tier 4 Route’ (a points-based immigration system), which has replaced the earlier Student Route, to apply for the student visa.
- While initiating the process for acquiring the visa, you must keep in mind that the institution or university of London you select must be accredited by the government.
- An application fee of £348 must be paid while having a valid passport and other travel documents.
- For short term courses of six months, you need to apply for a short-term student route visa. For long-term courses, you need to apply for a regular student visa, and the duration depends on the duration of your course.
- You can apply for your student visa six months before your course starts.
Diverse, cosmopolitan, and globally connected, London is rapidly growing to be the perfect education hub for international students. If you decide to Study In London, the opportunity to work in a multinational company also increases. In addition, this city offers a wide range of courses in various universities. To summarise, London is one of the world’s most cosmopolitan cities, famous for its museums, shopping, nightlife, pubs, cuisine, parks like Hyde Park, tourist attractions like Buckingham Palace, London Eye, Tower of London, etc., and rich history. Students from across the world come to Study In London.
If you are looking to study in the UK, check out the LeapScholar’s UK blog category.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best university to Study In London?
Ans. There are quite a few universities/colleges worth studying in London. However, if you want to study at the best university, then Imperial College in London is the one as it ranks 7th in the world.
2. Which university in London offers affordable programs?
Ans. Quite a few universities in London offer affordable programs that range in annual fees of £13,040 – £19,180 per academic year. They are:
- University of East London – £13,740 – £16,200
- University of West London – £9,000 – £11,440
- Coventry University London – £15,000 – £20,000
- Middlesex University London – £9,000 – £11,500
3. Is it possible to get a refund for the tuition fee if I am not satisfied with the course?
Ans. Most universities in the world will not refund tuition fees post the completion of five weeks of attendance. So, the earlier you decide to pull out, the more possibilities of getting a refund.
4. How much does a Full-time Undergraduate Degree cost at the universities in London?
Ans. A full-time undergraduate degree at any university in London costs on average about GBP 10,000 to GBP 20,000 per year. (About 10 to 20 lakhs INR)
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?