- A UK visa application is accompanied by various necessary documents such as academic transcripts, a valid passport, proof of accommodation, biometric information, etc.
- The applicant needs to provide 2 identical photos along with their visa application form.
- The UK visa photo size needs to be 45 millimeters (mm) high by 35mm wide, which is the standard size used in UK photo booths.
- The photographs must be original and need not be cut down from a larger picture.
- The UK visa photo size specifications should be followed to submit a clear photograph adhering to all the specifications to avoid the rejection of the application or delay in its approval.
The United Kingdom is a popular choice for individuals to study abroad, travel, or look for work. In order to visit the country, one needs to acquire a UK Visa for the category that best suits their needs with a good UK visa size photo as a bonus. The visa application is accompanied by certain documents, including the medical certificate, a passport photo of the applicant, official academic transcripts, etc. Each country has varying requirements for the photo dimensions on the local id type. There has to be certain spacing above your head and below it, and the picture has to be of a certain size.
The official photograph you submit along with your UK visa application is an important part of the visa application of an individual. There are certain specified requirements for the UK visa photo size as per the UK officials. In the case the picture you submitted does not follow the requirements, your visa application can get significantly delayed or can even be rejected.
Following the UK visa photo size specifications and requirements can ensure that your photo is accepted by the officials and your visa application is processed smoothly. In this article, we will look at the UK visa photo size requirements, the criteria for clicking the photo, and the additional specifications.
What are the requirements for a UK Visa Photograph?
Your UK visa photograph must satisfy the following requirements –
- The photo must be taken within one month of the visa application submission.
- It should be in a portrait mode and should be in contrast with the background.
- The photograph should be from the head of the applicant to their upper shoulders.
- The mouth of the applicant should be closed in the picture, and their face must be forward, with them directly gazing at the focus of the camera.
- The photo should be taken with a light grey or a clear basic cream or white background.
- It should be printed colored on a high-quality white medium or low gloss or matte photographic paper.
- Both the eyes of the applicant should be open and clearly visible. The covering of eyes through hair or eyeglasses is not permitted.
- The full face should be clearly visible without any covering, even with hair.
- The head of the applicant must be uncovered except when it is covered for religious or medical matters.
- The candidate must have a neutral facial expression with no smile or wrinkling.
- The applicant must be in a well-lit area with uniform brightness. Shadows on the face of the applicant or behind them are not permitted.
What is the Ideal UK Visa Photo Size?
The ideal UK Visa Photo size requirements are as follows –
1. Height x Width – 45.0 mm x 35.0 mm
2. Face Size – 60 per cent to 80 percent of the photo – The head must lie between 29 mm and 34 mm. The photograph should be squared with the upper shoulders in view.
3. Face Orientation – Front-facing
4. Background – White background, cream of light grey colored, or neutral background with no shadows, designs, or patterns.
5. Color – Only colored photos are accepted.
6. The size of the face should be from the bottom of your chin to the hairline, and must be between 32mm (1 ¼ inch) and 36mm (1 3/8 inches).
What are the UK Visa Photo Size Requirements for Digital Photographs?
The digital photographs must satisfy the following requirements –
- Photo dimensions – minimum 600 x 750 pixels wide and tall.
- Photo file size – 50 KB to 10 MB.
- The image file format must be either JPEG or JPG.
Do’s and Don’ts of the UK Visa Photo
The do’s and don’ts of the UK visa photo requirements are –
- The candidate should have a neutral expression.
- Their eyes should be visible and open.
- The ears, neck, and upper shoulders of the candidate should be visible.
- The photograph must be recent.
- The photo should be well lit, and the face of the applicant must be clearly visible.
- The photo must be without a border.
- It must not have anything written on its front or backside unless it is specified.
- It should not have any creases, crinkles, or watermarks.
- It should not be lined, marked, or blurry.
- There should be no glass shine, glare, and no reflection
- No red-eye effect from the camera flash should be observed.
- The photograph should not be black and white.
- Exaggerated makeup that covers the natural look of the face must be avoided.
- The candidate should not be giggling, smiling, or showing their teeth.
- Any head covering should not be used except for religious or medical reasons.
- The photograph should not be scanned or stapled and should not be used in any previous visas.
What are the UK Visa Photo Requirements for Children?
The UK visa photo requirements for a baby or a toddler are as follows –
- Children of age 6 or older should be directly looking at the camera.
- They should not be giggling, smiling, or crying.
- They must not be held by someone in the photograph.
- Both of their eyes should be opened except for the babies under the age of 1.
- They should not be carrying any pacifiers or toys.
The applicant should submit two identical photos taken in the last month that must not be attached to the application form. The photographs must be separated from each other. There are certain cases in which you will be required to provide digital photographs instead of the printed ones along with the UK visa application form. In these cases, you have to upload a file of the photograph to the online system. If one is applying for a passport using a paper form, they need to submit 2 identical printed photographs, whereas if they are applying for a passport online, they need to submit digital photos.
You must get a new photograph for the passport even if your appearance has not changed much. The photo must be taken in the last month or so of the visa application submission. The image you submit – from the crown of your head to the bottom of the chin – must be between 29 mm wide and 34 mm high. The photos must be printed to a professional standard. Individuals can apply for a UK study visa, work visa, business visa, etc., on the basis of their requirements.
Students wishing to study in the United Kingdom can get a UK student visa for the duration of their course. If you wish to study in the UK, LeapScholar can help you identify top study programs, top United Kingdom universities, and top scholarship options in the UK and guide you throughout the admission process.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Should I take a new photo for the visa application if my look has changed most recently?
Ans. You should attach your most recent photos with your visa application form. The photograph should show your latest appearance. You should click new passport size photos of the most recent days if –
1. You have undergone a gender transition.
2. You have gained or lost a great amount of weight.
3. You have had surgery or substantial facial trauma.
4. You have started to wear a religious uniform.
5. You have added or removed a visible facial tattoo or piercing.
Q2. What should the quality of the printed photographs be submitted along with the visa application form?
Ans. The printed photographs need to be –
- Matte-finish printed photograph on a good quality paper
- Clear and in focus
- Colored photograph with no border
- Printed to a professional printing standard means no wrinkles or creases should be there on the photograph.
- Unmarked on the front as well as on the back
- Unchanged by the computer software
Q3. Are glasses allowed in US visa application photographs?
Ans. It is usually recommended that the applicant avoids wearing glasses in the photograph. However, prescription glasses are allowed as long as the eyes of the candidate are clearly visible in the photograph without any blockage, reflection, or glare from the frames. Tinted lenses or sunglasses are not at all allowed in the photograph.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?