Students from various walks of life incline toward fine arts and consider it an apt medium to express their creativity. However, pursuing a fine art or visual arts course isn’t exactly economical. That’s where scholarships come into the picture. They are an appropriate and easy option for individuals looking to ease finances for arts programs and fellowships. There are various art scholarship opportunities for Indian students on offer today.
This blog will cover the top Art Scholarships for Indian Students available to study abroad with the eligibility criteria and the application process.
Top 6 Art Scholarships For Indian Students to Study Abroad
1. Saryu Doshi Graduate Fellowships in Liberal Arts & Sciences
This scholarship scheme aims to support financially challenged Indian students. Designed for a master’s degree, this scholarship applies to destinations like the United States, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, the UK, Germany, and many more. It is a need-based merit fellowship wherein applications are evaluated based on academic scores and financial requirements. These fellowships are offered by Vinod and Saryu Doshi Foundation, a non-profit charitable trust.
- Applicants must have a first-class degree or equivalent from a recognised Indian university
- Students in their final year can apply as well, provided they’d be able to submit their final year certificates before May
- Applicants must have an acceptance letter from a recognised university from a reputed university
- A resident of India at the time of scholarship application
- An amount up to $4078 is provided to cover the tuition fee
2. Inlaks Shivdasani Scholarship
This scholarship is provided to young artists to develop their creative talent and broaden their vision abroad. It is offered to individuals by the Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation. The selection for this scholarship is carried out by an independent committee of the foundation. The selection process is divided into two stages. These include a preliminary interview and a final interview stage.
- Applicants must hold a first-class degree certificate or equivalent from a reputed Indian university
- Applicants must have a portfolio to showcase their work
- Candidates who already hold a postgraduate degree or have already started their postgraduate studies abroad are not eligible
- Applicants must have an acceptance letter from a recognised university
- The maximum age of applicants is 30 years
- Tuition fees, one-way travel allowance, health allowance, and adequate living expenses are all covered
- The maximum amount is fixed at 100,000 USD. If an applicant’s expenses exceed this limit, they’d need to prove that they can cover these expenses
3. Krishnakriti Foundation Scholarship For Fine Arts
These fine arts scholarships for Indian students are offered by a collaboration between the Krishnakriti Foundation and the French Embassy. These are ideal for individuals who want to study in prestigious french institutes in the fields of fine and visual arts. These scholarships are highly competitive as only two students get awarded the same every year.
- Applicants must be residents of India at the time of application
- Applicants must have an undergraduate degree in fine arts from a recognised university in India
- Applicants must have a portfolio with at least three artworks to showcase
- Past winners of the fellowship are not applicable
- Air tickets (Round tickets)
- Medical insurance
- Visa and campus fee waiver
- Monthly stipend
- Assistance to get affordable student accommodation
4. Sanskriti-Kalakriti Fellowship
This fellowship is ideal for young performing artists who wish to contribute to enriching their respective art forms. It encourages them to enhance their skills and develop their potential through intensive practice.
- Applicants should have at least ten years of experience in Indian classical dance.
- Applicants should have given two to three performances to their credit in recognised forums.
- Work samples showcasing prior experience.
- At least two letters of reference.
- An entire fellowship of INR 50,000 is provided in two instalments.
- While the first instalment is given at the time of course commencement, the other is given at the time of the submission of the completed project report of the students when they are asked to perform a dance recital.
5. The University of Northampton – Master’s Scholarships
These Art Scholarships For Indian Students aim at providing specialised training to students in various fields. Meritorious fine arts students can apply for this scholarship on the university’s website. However, it is offered only to international students undertaking PG courses.
- Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a recognised university.
- Applicants must have an offer letter from the University of Northampton.
- Coverage of 50% of the tuition fee of selected individuals.
Also Read: Master of Business Administration – University of Northampton
6. IED Scholarships
Offered by the European Institute of Design, Italy, these Art Scholarships For Indian Students are for master’s courses in Milan, Venice, Rome, Florence, Madrid, and Barcelona. Students applying for programmes in fashion, design, and visual arts, amongst others, can apply for these fellowships.
- Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree from a recognised university.
- Coverage of 50% of the tuition fee of students.
Application Process For Art Scholarships For Indian Students
While the process of the scholarships and fellowships can differ slightly, it is broadly the same. Read on to know how students can apply for Art Scholarships For Indian Students:
- The first step is the assembling of all the required documents. These include official transcripts, updated CV, portfolio with work samples, letter of references, and statement of purpose. Some fellowship programs might require applicants to submit additional documents.
- Once applicants have assembled the necessary documents, they can go on with the application. The application forms for Art Scholarships For Indian students are available on the website of the organisations offering them.
- Applicants need to click on the form link and fill in their personal and professional details.
- After doing that, they can move ahead with uploading the necessary documents. Some organisations and programs ask applicants to send the documents via email.
- Once the above steps are completed, applicants can submit their applications. Selected candidates will be informed through email and receive details about their interviews.
Aspiring Indian artists often find the lack of financial aid for arts programmes daunting. While pursuing courses in fine arts abroad can be costly for Indian students, there are various scholarships that individuals can rely upon today. These help aspiring art students from various cultural fields achieve their goals effortlessly.
Art Scholarships For Indian Students looking to study abroad provide benefits like tuition fees waiver, air tickets, monthly stipends, medical coverage, and student accommodation assistance. However, applicants need to have a worthy portfolio or work samples to build their case and prove excellence.
Students from theatre, performing arts, mime, classical music, indigenous arts, or visual arts backgrounds can apply for fine arts scholarships abroad. Most of these scholarships are offered to Indians wanting to pursue an MFA or BFA from reputed universities. For further information on Art Scholarships For Indian Students, book a free counselling call on LeapScholar today.
Frequently Asked Questions