UK Work Visa for Indians: Documentation & Application Procedure

Share this post

The UK is one of the most sought-after places to work in the world. With advanced development, a wide range of opportunities, and good education, the United Kingdom remains a place where many people from around the world want to settle down, but to move completely to the UK, you need to hold a UK work visa for Indians. In this article, you will learn everything you need to know about the work visa, how to apply for the visa, eligibility for the applicant, the documentation required for the application process, and the different visa categories.

Types of UK Work Visas for Indians

The visa type needed depends on the work the Indian nationals do in the UK. The following are the different types of work permits that Indians need to work in the UK:

1. Long-Term Work Visa

Skilled Worker Visa The skilled worker visa allows Indians to visit the UK and work there under an approved UK employer and has replaced the tier 2 visa. This visa lasts for 5 years and can be extended many times, or you may choose to settle in the UK instead. The skilled worker visa allows your dependents to join you in your UK private household if they are eligible. The EEA scheme is no longer applicable to them, and they do not gain access to free healthcare anymore.


The best guidance for your STUDY ABROAD DREAM

Start your journey with the best study abroad experts in India

UK Work Visa for Indians: Documentation & Application Procedure
  • The domestic worker must work under a UK employer who has been approved by the UK Home office
  • You must have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from the employer with all the information regarding the type of job offer you currently hold in the UK
  • The job you do must be on the list of eligible occupations
  • You must be paid a minimum salary for the type of job you do
  • You need to have a good knowledge of the English language and have tests to prove them

Healthcare Worker Visa The Health and Care Worker visa will allow skilled professionals in the medical field to stay and work in the UK under an eligible NHS organisation, supplier, or adult social care. People from the European Union, Switzerland, Norway, or Ireland can apply for the free EU Settlement Scheme. The visa fee is about £232 per person if the duration of the visa is less than 3 years and £464 per person if the visa program is for more than 3 years. It can be paid using a credit card.


  • You must be a doctor, nurse, health professional, or adult social care professional with health or social care work that is eligible for this visa.
  • You must work in one of the eligible health and social care jobs.
  • The UK employer you work for must be approved by the Home Office.
  • You must have a ‘Certificate of Sponsorship’ from your employer with all information regarding your role.
  • Applicants need a confirmed job offer before they can begin visa processing can begin.

Intra-Company Visa The intra-company visa lets you work in an eligible job under your company’s UK branch. The intra-company is of two types:

  • Intra-Company Transfer Visa
  • Intra-Company Graduate Trainee Visa

You need to apply for this visa if you’re currently working in a company and are being transferred to the company’s branch in the UK. The visa was brought as a replacement for the tier 2 Long-term Staff visa. You need to have worked for at least a minimum of 12 months for your overseas employers. If you have worked for a lesser duration of time, you should be paid £73,900 or more per year. The parameters for your stay are 14 days longer than the duration mentioned in the certificate of scholarship, which can be up to 5 years if your salary is less than £73,900 or 9 years if your salary is more than £73,900. The application fee ranges from £610 to £1220 per person. You need to apply for this visa if you are being transferred to the UK for your graduate training program for the manager or specialist role. You should have worked for a minimum of 3 months before applying for this visa. The visa was brought as a replacement for the UK tier 2 graduate trainee visa. You can stay for 14 days extra than the duration mentioned in the certificate of scholarship, which can be up to 12 months. The maximum stay for any intra-company graduate trainee visa is 5 years. The application fee is £482 per person.

2. Short-Term Work Visas

Temporary Work – Government Authorised Exchange Visa You can apply for this visa if you want to stay in the UK for the following reasons:

  • Gaining work experience
  • Training in a role or skill
  • For an Overseas Government Language Programme, research, or fellowship


  • A certificate of sponsorship from a licensed sponsor is a must for people who want to apply for this visa.
  • The training, research, or fellowship you do must be related to the work of the organisation that is sponsoring you.

The application fee is £244 per person.

Youth Mobility Scheme Visa You can apply for this visa if you wish to work and live in the UK for a maximum period of 2 years and are aged between 18 to 30 years old. You need to apply for this visa a minimum of 6 months earlier than the date you want to travel at. The application fee is £244 per person.

3. Other Visas

InnovatorVisa You need to apply for an innovator visa if you are planning to run an innovative business in the UK; the business idea has been endorsed by an approved endorsing body. You can no longer apply for an Entrepreneur visa (tier 1) to do so.

Global Talent Visa You are eligible to apply for this visa if you are a leader or a potential leader in the fields of academics, research, arts, culture, or digital technology and are above 18 years old. You can stay in the UK for a period of up to 5 years.

Schengen Visa It is a short stay visa for business and tourism purposes for up to 90 days in the Schengen Area.

General Eligibility Required to Apply for UK Work Visa

The following are the general visa qualifications needed for a UK work visa for Indians:

  • The applicant must have a passport that is valid at least for 6 months.
  • The applicants should not be involved in any type of criminal case at the time when the UK Visa application is in process.
  • Applicants should be able to financially support themselves and any family member or dependents for the full duration they stay in the country.

Required Visa Documents

  • Certificate of the Sponsorship reference number
  • Proof of English language knowledge
  • Valid passport
  • Title of your job and annual salary
  • Occupation code of your job
  • Employer’s name and sponsor license number
  • Evidence of personal savings
  • Tuberculosis test results
  • Criminal records certificate (for some jobs)
  • ATAS certificate

How to Apply for UK Work Visa?

Find the right visa for the work you are going to pursue in the UK. Make sure that the visa applies to people who come from India. You need to apply for the visa at least 3 to 6 months before the date of commencement of work.

  • Fill in the application form online and pay the fee for healthcare.
  • Get a TB test done and submit it along with your application.
  • Prove your identity with an appointment at the visa application centre.
  • Provide the supporting documents as proof of your eligibility.
  • You will receive an email with your visa application result, usually within three weeks from the date of applying.


Getting a UK Work visa for Indians is not difficult when you know what type of visa you need and how to apply for it. Read this article carefully to gain insights into how you can apply for a visa for yourself and someone you know of.

If you plan to study further to increase your job prospects, check out this Leapscholar blog to know the benefits of studying in the UK now and accelerate your path to success!

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the processing time to get a UK Work Visa for Indians?

An Indian passport holder needs to apply for the work visa three months before the date of work commencement according to the certificate of scholarship provided by the employer. Your UK visa will be processed within 3 weeks from the date of visa application.

Can you work in the UK while on a short-term training or research program?

The Temporary Work – Government Authorised Exchange Visa allows Indian students of training, research, or fellowship to do a second job other than the one mentioned in the certificate of sponsorship for up to 20 hours per week similar to the student visa, provided that the second job comes under the Skilled Worker shortage occupation list. You cannot work in a permanent job, though, with this visa.

Is it easy to get a UK Work Visa for Indians?

As of 2021, the UK immigration system has changed a lot in the way that it works. The UK wants only to allow individuals who meet certain criteria to work in the country. The basic criteria include the following:
Have an equivalent secondary education
Have good English communication skills
Have a certificate of sponsorship
Meet the minimum wage requirements

Avatar photo
Saket Kohli

An International Higher Ed professional with 7+ years of experience studying, working, and living across three geographies, currently on a mission to share his journey as an International Student.

Articles: 691