- This article provides detail on Fulbright Scholarship in India
- It throws light on its eligibility, application and selection processes
The Fulbright scholarship India is a fully-funded scholarship program for international students. This scholarship program is offered to graduate students who plan to carry on higher studies in top-ranked universities of the U.S. Fulbright is awarded in 155 countries, including India. Still, there are various country-specific Fullbright scholarships. The Fulbright scholarship in India is given to Indian students who aspire to continue higher studies in the US without enormous funds. It is generally granted to students belonging to economically backward groups and backgrounds.
The table below breaks down the eligibility criteria for Indian students, determining whether they can avail the scholarship benefits.
|Scholarship Program||Eligibility Criteria|
|Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowship||• An undergraduate degree with 55% marks from a certified university
• A four-year undergraduate degree or a full-time postgraduate diploma
• Full-time work experience of three years
• Demonstrating Leadership skills and community service
• Not enrolled or possess a degree in any US university
|Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships||• Applicants with adequate research in relevant fields
• Letter of recommendation from the supervisor commenting on the thesis of a particular candidate
• Exclusively for PhD aspirants
• Candidates should present published research works or their extracts
|Fulbright-Nehru Academic and Professional Excellence Fellowships||• Candidates with PhD or equivalent status with relevant experience of five years
• Non-university professionals must have a Master’s degree with relevant experience of five years
• Requires latest major publication
• Present a letter of support from institution one originated
|Fulbright-Nehru Postdoctoral Research Fellowships||• Must possess a PhD or MD degree in the previous four years
• Candidates must have consistent academic and professional records
• Should have latest significant publication
• Must possess a letter from the Home institution of support
|Fulbright Kalam Climate Fellowship||• Must be appointed full-time teacher
• A teacher of class 6 to class 12
• Completed PhD in past four years and possess a PhD or DM certificate
• Should have a high level of achievements in academics
• Should possess publications in reputed journals and professional achievements
• Letter of recommendations and proposal of research
List of Fulbright Scholarship in India
The below list comprises Fulbright scholarships for Indian students and is only awarded to Indian citizens. These scholarship programs are as follows –
Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowship
A scholarship awarded to students planning to pursue a Master’s degree in the US for 1 to 2 years. This scholarship program focuses on candidates with high motivation and strong leadership qualities.
Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships
Candidates already registered for a PhD program in an Indian institution are eligible for this scholarship program. With a fellowship duration of 6 to 9 months, candidates get an opportunity to affiliate with selected US institutions. Further, it is only applicable in the case of pre-doctoral research programs and individuals in their final year of PhD course or with PhD degree are ineligible.
Fulbright-Nehru Academic and Professional Excellence Fellowships
This scholarship is mainly for working professionals, scholars, and professors in India aspiring to teach and research in US colleges and universities. With a fellowship duration of 4 to 9 months, the recipient will likely contribute to workshops, seminars, and program development.
Fulbright-Nehru Postdoctoral Research Fellowships
This scholarship is awarded to individuals of Indian faculty who have begun their research careers. It strengthens their research capacities while providing the best resources access in the related field. With fellowship duration varying from 8 to 24 months, the candidates are required to specify the proposed project’s time to help the selection committee.
Fulbright Kalam Climate Fellowship
This scholarship program is provided by USIEF (The United States Indian Educational Foundation) for students involved in researching identifying resources in India. The main aim behind this program is to share knowledge and skills between the two nations’ technical and scientific scholars in climate research and education.
Further, some Fulbright scholarships are not country-specific and are awarded to students from India and other nationals. They are as follows –
- Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program
- Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program
- Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Program for International Teachers
- Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program
- Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence Program
How to Apply for Fulbright Scholarship in India?
Individuals aspiring to study in US universities and colleges for Master’s, doctoral and post-doctoral degrees can apply through the official online portal of Fulbright foundation. But before moving on to the application process, check whether the individual is eligible or not for availing the scholarship benefits.
The application process is described in the following steps.
- Visit the official portal of Fulbright Foundation.
- Click on “Create an Account”.
- Now register with an email id and mobile number. After receiving mail containing credentials, log in to your account click on “Start New Application”.
- Click on “Create Application”.
- Read the terms and conditions carefully. Checkmark on “I Agree” and then click on “Continue”.
- Fill the required fields of each application page and click on “Continue”.
- After filling out the form, submit it with all the required documents and then click on “Save”.
After completing the application process, the selection committee at Fulbright foundation review the forms and shortlist the candidates based on the merits.
What Is the Selection Process of the Fulbright Scholarship in India?
The selection of candidates is carried out under the following criteria –
- Academic and professional ability.
- Communication skills
- Services towards community and nation.
- The merit of the project
- Research practicality and purpose.
- The potential impact, outcomes and benefits.
- Cultural adaptability, leadership, maturity and motivation towards the purpose.
- Ability to become a cultural ambassador in the field of study.
What Are the Subjects Areas Covered Under Fullbright Scholarship in India?
Let us now check out the scholarship’s subject fields for Indian students.
- Arts and Culture Management
- Women’s Studies/Gender Studies
- Agricultural Sciences
- Energy Studies
- Mathematical Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Climate Change Sciences
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Education Policy and Planning
- Public Policy
- International Law
- International Security and Strategic Studies
- Materials Science (with emphasis on environmental applications)
- Women’s and Gender Studies
- Visual Arts
- Performing Arts
- Public Health
This piece lists down all the details regarding the Fulbright scholarship in India. Therefore, this scholarship will help Indian students, scholars, teachers, and researchers pursue their dream courses without any financial backup. Furthermore, this program funds tuition fees and airfare, health insurance, and other living and study-related expenses.
Is Fulbright only for Americans?
What is the duration of a Fulbright scholarship?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?